Strategy and Replay Discussion, please state the matchup in the thread title

Moderators: Global Moderator, SC2 moderator

deaconferal
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
AOE3 Nickname: Deacon

So apparently...

Post by deaconferal »

...roaches are imba? Hehe, enjoy. Only 7ish minutes, and worth a laugh I think. For all interested, this is a strat I have been using recently in ZvP and ZvT to great effect. BO and discussion can be found here.

EDIT: A new rep added, my second game as platinum so far. This strategy really seems to get under peoples skin!  :P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by deaconferal on Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: So apparently...

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

meh just some rant of some random newbie who got no clue :P
if marines don't work then just take maraudres :P don't know what his problem is.
terran should have no problem countering that, especially on scrap station
deaconferal
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by deaconferal »

[quote=""Aaryn_GenD""]meh just some rant of some random newbie who got no clue :P
if marines don't work then just take maraudres :P don't know what his problem is.
terran should have no problem countering that, especially on scrap station[/quote]

You are right about scrap station being a difficult map for it, but I don't think it is exactly "easily countered". You ought to take a look at the thread for it on TL, it is getting massive publicity even at 1k+ Diamond.
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

i need to try these types of strats. lately all i been doing is custom games and going fast lair for infestors lol im addicted to that unit so i lose alot :*(

i need to try this type of strat maybe i win more :)

thx for posting this rep
- Dan
deaconferal
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by deaconferal »

No problem. I have been winning lots with this in both matchups. The nice thing is that it can open up a wall like a Baneling bust but you usually still have roaches afterwards to do damage. Also, should you be unable to break in, you still have a solid economy to back off and power with. In other words, it is not all-in.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

the good thing about this roach push vs T is that you have something to fight off reapers, hellions and even few siege tanks. early game only the marauder counters the roach, but T players don't build many marauders because of all the lings so it is a decent option
deaconferal
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by deaconferal »

[quote=""Aaryn_GenD""]the good thing about this roach push vs T is that you have something to fight off reapers, hellions and even few siege tanks. early game only the marauder counters the roach, but T players don't build many marauders because of all the lings so it is a decent option[/quote]

That pretty much sums it up. Even if they do start making a handful of marauders or stalkers after seeing your roaches coming, the flow of speedlings that come after will often mop them up.
Bart331
Major
Major

Post by Bart331 »

Only problem i see with roaches is their slow speed off creep, stalkers can hit n run them infinetely, marauders with slow ability are devastating. And if they have a proper wall in going its gets hard to do enough damage to justice the economic loss.

Also if terran goes for 1/1/1 banshee, will you be in time with the push?
deaconferal
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by deaconferal »

I have yet to play against a well-executed 1/1/1 from a T, but as I understand it, it is one of the best matchups possible for this build.

Your first point is taken, however that I feel is one of the strengths of the build. Unless you are scouted, it is unlikely that your opponent will rush to stalkers and marauders, and even if they do, you can simply back off and power drones out. The build's real strength lies in its flexibility to either end the game after the 5 roaches or instead pull back and work on your eco should you be unable to end the game early. It is something that makes this build (in my opinion) quite safe for the most part provided your opponent doesn't know well ahead of time what you are doing, since the build is not all-in like many of the baneling builds.

I really recommend that everyone try it a few times to really feel it. I got promoted to platinum today after a 9-4 run with this build. It is also worth noting that at least 3 of my losses were longer games and the loss was not really caused by the build as much as my failure to macro proficiently later in the game. If anything, the losses show that the build can rebound into mid/late game easily.
Bart331
Major
Major

Post by Bart331 »

Sounds good, gonna try it xD

I was thinking of some other thing, what if he uses his range on the marines? He has 5 range while roaches have 3, if he gets some scv to repair the wall he wins it easily, nice timing on the larve injection and the finishing of the roach warren to pump out 5 roaches directly ^^. seems like a good solid roach opening. Is there a reason you go 13 pool? or can it also be done with 14 pool?
deaconferal
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by deaconferal »

I can still hit the SCV's as they repair and they die very quickly. The marines take forever to kill a roach and losing 2 or 3 roaches while dropping the wall and killing off SCV's is worth it any time. As far as 13 or 14 pool, you would have to try. The timings are quite tight as you can see though, so I'm not sure how it would work out.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

i think in this case 13 pool is the way to go (5 roach early push)
deaconferal
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by deaconferal »

[quote=""Aaryn_GenD""]i think in this case 13 pool is the way to go (5 roach early push)[/quote]

Probably true, if only because of how very tight the timings and resources are on this build. Occasionally even a bad spawn (North mineral patch) can throw you off by a few seconds.
deaconferal
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by deaconferal »

Sorry to double post, but another rep added to the OP. Once again, the flaming from the guy is better than the replay really, but still a good example of the build order.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

[quote=""deaconferal""]Sorry to double post, but another rep added to the OP. Once again, the flaming from the guy is better than the replay really, but still a good example of the build order.[/quote]

i watched your second rep and it was great :) the flaming was just the icing on the cake.
i noticed you built your roach warren a bit late - was this because you wanted to make sure his SCV doesn't see your tech structure?
when your roach warren was finished and you were ready to pump those guys out, i noticed how dumb the 2 supply roaches were. you had to build another overlord... imo those 2 supply should be added with the upgrade that allows them to move while burrowed