Strategy: Fast Reaper Cheese

Strategy and Replay Discussion, please state the matchup in the thread title

Moderators: Global Moderator, SC2 moderator

Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Strategy: Fast Reaper Cheese

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

For those of you just want to cheese a bit from time to time, this strat is for you.
this is done as terrans, and there are quite a few variations of this, my fav one is the proxy 6 rax, as this is the fastest way of doing it and it purely relies on killing vills before your opponent can get anything.

this strat is done by Terran, either against Zerg or Protoss, never do this against another terran! i would rather do this to protoss than to zerg btw.

Buildorder:
- You start with 6 SCV's (vills), put all of them to a mineral field, they'll autofind their own mineral patch
- take one of them and go to the middle of the map, preferably a place your opponent won't scout very early.
- When you got 150 minerals, build a barracks
- When 75 minerals, get your Refinery up, when finished, put 2 SCV's in it
- As soon as the rax finishes, get a tech lab (costs 50/25)
- now build scv (8 pop) and wait till the tech lab is finished
- as soon as the tech lab is finished you should be able to build a reaper costs 50/50)
- cue another vill you should be at 10 pop, when reaper finsihed build another one, now you're popped ad build a supply depot with your SCV
- now take this reaper and go harass, snipe vills and go back and forth, reapers are fast and can jump cliffs up and down.
- remember the SCV which built the proxy rax? if you were good you could go to a mineral patch in the middle of the map while he was idle and grab 5 minerals, now put him forward and build a bunker with him right at enemy base in which you can garrison your reapers, they are protected in their and can still shoot :-P if your opponent attacks your bunker, repar it with your scv.
- now the thing with protoss is that they're building zealots 90% of the time which can be easily sniped off with hit&run, be careful with the cybernetic core, once that is built they can get their stalkers which own your reapers. i wouldn't suggest building more than 4 reapers, 2-4 is fine.
- snipe off vills whenever you can and get the pylon down which supports his buildings, they have low hp and if they're down and no other pylon is near, his buildings cannot be used 8)
the replay is from 2 weeks ago or so but nothing from the latest patches has changed really so it can still be done.

in the meantime, get your eco going, build supply depots (houses) when necessary, get the orbital command upgrade at your command center (tc) and call down M.U.L.E.'s an build scv's. get a 2nd refinery at 17/18 and a 2nd rax too. now it's time to either tech to some useful unit like banshees or just go MM. from here on it varies but most of the time especially against newbies it's gg right here

be aware if he builds a forge cuz then he 's trying to get photon cannons in teh last patch the build time got increased so it should be harder for him to do so.
i only recommend this against zerg when he goes for fastexpand and generally more ecoheavy, otherwise this is predestined to bring the plans of your protoss opponent out of whack

in the attachment you will find a recording of me played weeks ago, the strat is still unchanged so it's all good.
the game was actually terribly played by me, and alot of stuff was not done(early scouting sucked, as well as keeping my eco going while harrassing,etc.), but it still shows a basic idea

if you don't like this no eco rush then go for the slower, but eco-heavier version of this. which would be
8 Rax Proxy Reaper:

SCVS 1-5 Minerals
SCV 6 Scout -> Proxy
7 SCV
8 SCV
8 Rax
8 Gas
9 SCV
9 Tech Lab
10 Reaper
10 Orbital Command
11 Reaper
11 Supply
12 SCV

by all means try this out it's alot of fun, especially with the bunker and garrisoning/ungarrisoning. :-P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Aaryn_GenD on Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bart331
Major
Major

Re: Cheesing with Terran

Post by Bart331 »

hehe i have been doing the same as the 2nd economic approach with great succes in the lower leaugues. Gonna try out the 6 rax + bunker xD
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: Cheesing with Terran

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

Tried a variation of this and won me a few games, but man is SCII faster than AOE3. With no TC to garrison in, if you get caught with no military your toast.
djdan
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: SpanktheMonkey

Re: Strategy: Fast Reaper Cheese

Post by djdan »

Ok so I was reading through and my second game ever played on SC2 I thought I ould try this strat as i always liked going gung ho in AOE i thought this may be a strat to suit me so anyway any tips that may help would be helpful.
It was a game I played against a mate from work and both still trying to get to grips with the game, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
From the OP maker of the OP Sigs, Cleeduz brings maybe some of his best work yet!
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Strategy: Fast Reaper Cheese

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

ha good old reeper cheese :D
you followed the build order strictly and swift, onec your 2nd reaper is out and you are at 11/11 pop, i woulda do orbital comand first and then get a supply depot.
actually this is less effective vs terran because they have their supply of marines fast, though this can crush any unaware opponent ;-)
it's also extremely effective againt a zerg player who does FE

replays autosave in this game, so no worry about "forgetting to rec"^^