Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

HotS (Heart of the Swarm) Beta Units

Post by Comadevil »

StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm - Multiplayer Unit Update

By the looks of it the game becomes more dynamic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gcs52bE ... r_embedded#!

Mothership Core
    Showing video of multiplayer update. Changing Mothership to "Mothership Core".
    Mothership Core - build mothership core from nexus, has to remain attached to nexus. Can tele to any nexus you have. Purify ability makes it into a powerful photon cannon. Can upgrade it to Mothership later. Can mass recall. This is early game unit.

Tempest
    Tempest attacks air and ground.
    Tempest - long range expensive range of 10 upgrade to 22. Dustin makes scary face ("not sure about that one yet"). 22 is huge. Seeing how bold they can make the unit before nerfing. Despite what you think of 22 range. They've seen people losing games because they went tempest (its not as strong as you think).

Oracle
    Oracle has cloaking ability similar to motherships cloaking ability. Has to stay stationary while casting it it looks like.
    Also sorry if you think this is spam. Should be done in 30 mins. Oracle - raid unit. Preordain ability, cast on nme building and get vision. Can cast on friendly building and turn it into a detector.AoE cloaking field taken from mothership. Same ability usage wise.

Widow Mines
    Widow mines attack air or ground. Spider mines except they have a timer on them and attach to units (you could probably pull them out of your control group to not get owned)
    Widow Mine (temp art is a spider mine). Leaps up and grabs ground or air targets. Timer (10 seconds currently). AoE dmg.
    Widow Mines trying to break up death balls. If the unit dies (you kill your own unit). It doesn't do AoE to units around it.
    Widow mine is factory unit - no tech lab required (can reactor it). Can move them around the map. Dustin expects that most pros will never get hit by widow mine splash. Experimenting with friendly splash. Still testing - if it's air, the splash only hits air, if its ground only ground. Range of vipers is 9 - turrets are 7.

Viper
    "Blinding cloud" on viper. Looks like dark swarm from BW
    Video showing baneling/line viper vs marine tank. Viper pulls tanks towards them while banelings run in at marines avoiding splash.
    Viper can drain live off a building to regen energy. Your own buildings.

Battle Hellion
    Battle Hellion discussion: Late game terran vunerable to charged zealots - this is basic answer. Substantially worse vs banelings. Good as part of a larger army comp late game. Showing Warhound now - 2 weapons: cannon +dmg vs mech and missles - autocast (if you want). Missles autocast vs mech units. Shoots closest mechanical target - to break up the monotony of TvT. Gives factory option against protoss.

Other Changes
    Removed bombs from Reaper - added regen out of combat. Attack, retreat, reheal, go attack again.
    Ultralisk charge (same as we saw last year). Hydra speed upgrade at hive tech. Has had the biggest impact on gameplay they've seen
    Overseer is in. Can throw the changling - they can stick around longer in an army. Easier to hide it in army
    Experimenting with creep spreading - not in this build. Mass cloaking is timing and energy based - only lasts certain amount of time.
    Carrier is not in current build - they are arguing about it daily internally still. End of Q&A. Thanks for being patient with my spam.
Last edited by Comadevil on Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: HotS (Heart of the Swarm) Beta Units

Post by jerom »

Looking good I guess. Kinda seems to me that Zerg lair tech is a bit overcrowded (all those new ones are lair tech right ?)
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

we still got the warhound :(
and swarm host seems kinda lame, i mean isn't it just like a ground broodlord??
HeJurmhoanni
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by HeJurmhoanni »

I still dont like the tempest over the carrier...
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

HeJurmhoanni wrote: I still dont like the tempest over the carrier...
yeah lol. Capital ships are not supposed to be build ever in the game... wth is up with the tempest.

Warhound is ok as a unit btw, mech vs protoss would be cool to see.
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.
HeJurmhoanni
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by HeJurmhoanni »

jerom wrote:
yeah lol. Capital ships are not supposed to be build ever in the game... wthff is up with the tempest.

Yeah the current warhound seems legit :D
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

HeJurmhoanni wrote:
jerom wrote:
yeah lol. Capital ships are not supposed to be build ever in the game... wthff is up with the tempest.

Yeah the current warhound seems legit :D
or even bio/mech with helion vs Zealots :D :D

With all the stuff Zerg gains to batter down Terran I hope they bring bake the ghost snipe to its normal strength. Its just a lot of fun to see armies develope more and more the later the game goes on, rather than seeing marine tank all game long. ...
HeJurmhoanni
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by HeJurmhoanni »

Agreed with the poster above
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

Heart of the Swarm - TvZ - Newest gameplay - Starcraft 2 - HD

Found another commentary. TvZ Mech vs Hydra Viper :D
Gomezd
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by Gomezd »

Really like most of the units. Warhound is just ungly ugly ugly, seems like something I would come up with; clumsy and just stupid.

Vipers scorpion "get over here move" seems too strong, not sure how much it costs and energy it requires but its almost insta kill 1 unit, should probly be restricted against massive units.

And the swarm host really lacks in originality, its exactly like a broodlord.

The oracle looks very fun, I think it would be sweet to open double stargate with a couple oracles then switch to phoenix/void for harass. Mixing blink stalker or warp prisim play with cloack would seem like a pretty cool idea too.
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

They can reduce the range of abduct. I kinda fear though that vipers and infestors might have an overlapping niche (fungal is very similair to that cloud spell en NP to abduct)
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

those are exactly my thoughts gomezd. i also hope the swarm host will be removed, though that is highly unlikely. it's a broodlord on ground
HeJurmhoanni
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by HeJurmhoanni »

the swarmhost's concept admittedly is similar to the broodlord's, but it has a completely different role in the zerg army. i'm quite sure no one will ever compare it to a broodlord after the game is out and everyone has actually been able to play the game :)

the viper and the infestor to me are more similar. only significant difference is the quite a lot better mobility the viper has.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

the vipers pull ability seems definitely too op for me, wonder if it ever gets changed. the vision reduce ability of enemy units is awesome^^
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

Protoss seems weak :( Only cool thing is the recall to the Mothernexus, hehe. Let's see.