What do you guys think of MLG Orlando?

General Discussion about StarCraft 2

Moderators: Global Moderator, SC2 moderator

Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

What do you guys think of MLG Orlando?

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

i think it was a real upset, and a couple of games were just unlucky.
first one was boxer vs idra, i mean he comes back from 3-0 to 3-3 with some sick moves (lift off to gold expansion etc.) and in the last game, if he'd have gotten the drones he would have won. or if MLG would have gotten rid off the Extended Series Rule (would have been 3-2 then for boxer)
or when Polt fought through the open brackets and beat everybody 2-0, and just lost to PuMa, or Bomber vs idra was also a sad game. MarineKing vs MCD and HonGun vs July. i think certain people got lucky becasue others kicked out their biggest threats^^
StC could have really hd this if he wouldn't have gotten caught by forcefields, he had a big lead i the last game vs huk but couldn't finish it.
overall i think this extended series is a bad idea, and i hope they'll change the format a bit.
Last edited by Aaryn_GenD on Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Re: What do you guys think of MLG Orlando?

Post by Comadevil »

MLG Orlando was an awesome event, especially with the quad view for League members. U were able to watch a game most of the time
Aaryn_GenD wrote: i think it was a real upset, and a couple of games were just unlucky.
first one was boxer vs idra, i mean he comes back from 3-0 to 3-3 with some sick moves (lift off to gold expansion etc.) and in the last game, if he'd have gotten the drones he would have won. or if MLG would have gotten rid off the Extended Series Rule (would have been 3-2 then for boxer)
or when Polt fought through the open brackets and beat everybody 2-0, and just lost to PuMa, or Bomber vs idra was also a sad game. MarineKing vs MCD and HonGun vs July. i think certain people got lucky becasue others kicked out their biggest threats^^
Well i was also cheering for Boxer. Concerning luck: U always need to have luck in a tournament like that, begins with brackets and ends with having luck in certain situations of the game.
MarineKing was really entertaining to watch. Several games of him were shown on the community stream. Will be nice to watch the replays when they get released
Aaryn_GenD wrote: overall i think this extended series is a bad idea, and i hope they'll change the format a bit.
They use the extended series since the beginning of SC2 at MLG. and still din't change it. But worse is the pool play format. It is hard to get into pool and hard to drop out. Incontrol gets 0-5 almost all the time in pool play now but was still in. In Providence he will proably again in Pool play because he is 17th in ranking.

But MLG will change the format a bit. Sundance said in a Forbes INterview, that it should be a season with many online events and the offline events will fit in. Lets see how it will develop
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

Extended series rule is a joke. Why would boxer need to have less chances to beat idra than anyone else (in the same starting positions) if they technically played equally well...

I think that more BO5's would be nice. Like BO5 once it gets a little bit more important. and BO7 in the finals obviously.
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

i think you're  right coma (about the luck thing). somebody said, if July beat Hongun or something, then HuK would be second in his group and would have had a much harder time to advance trough the bracketrs.

and like you said, in the next seasons of MLG (2012) onwards, the rules will change, they're just keeping the "bad" rules until this MLG series end.
Last edited by Aaryn_GenD on Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

jerom wrote: I think that more BO5's would be nice. Like BO5 once it gets a little bit more important. and BO7 in the finals obviously.
This is simply not possible with the tour format right now and getting all done in three days
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

yeah I kinda dislike that aswell. It just doesnt leave enough room to speculate abouthe results and matches and stuff and to be excited for them, aswell as to catch up with things you may have missed. I'd much rather see it spread out over 2 weekends with either an EU rebroadcast or VOD's being released shortly afterwards on youtube.

But maybe thats just me ^^
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

jerom wrote: yeah I kinda dislike that aswell. It just doesnt leave enough room to speculate abouthe results and matches and stuff and to be excited for them, aswell as to catch up with things you may have missed. I'd much rather see it spread out over 2 weekends with either an EU rebroadcast or VOD's being released shortly afterwards on youtube.

But maybe thats just me ^^
well jerom, teh weekend has 2-3 days, can't increase  that^^
also two weekends? wow that would be way to expensive for people overseas, the hotel rooms and all, etc.
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

Maybe thats true..I just think its too hard to follow everything :S

Maybe something like a rebroadcast and releasing as much content on youtube as possible as fast as possible.
HeJurmhoanni
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by HeJurmhoanni »

Its just impossible to follow everything. Watch both streams at a time and at the end of the day check how other players have been doing. thats the bo i roll with 8)
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

My fav tournement so far has been the TSL 3 because it actually allowed me to get drained into it and really be rooting for players. Gosh the amount of adrenaline in my body during the last match of Thorzain vs nanawi was so high it was awesome ^^
HeJurmhoanni
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by HeJurmhoanni »

Well, TSL and MLG are completely different kind of tounraments. Still, i like them both :)