Control groups

General Discussion about StarCraft 2

Moderators: Global Moderator, SC2 moderator

jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Control groups

Post by jerom »

I have been using the 1-2 for army, 3 for rax/gateways, and 4 for one kind of tech structure, 5 for command centers/nexi.

But I feel like this doesn't fully do the job, I mean I sometimes really want 3 different control groups for my army and I sometimes have 2 different tech structures, so I'm looking to change this a bit.

So what control group set ups do you guys use. Does anyone get used to puuting all unit production structures in one control group and then using tab to browse through them

I'm also very interested to hear how you zergs do this, I use 1-3 for army, 4 for all queens and 5 for all hatcheries, but that way you can't check when you have to vomit larvae again, so I'd also be interesting in some of the zerg hotkey set-ups.
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Re: Control groups

Post by Comadevil »

[quote=""jerom""]I have been using the 1-2 for army, 3 for rax/gateways, and 4 for one kind of tech structure, 5 for command centers/nexi.
[/quote]
I use 1-3 for army, 4 CC/Nex/Hat, 5 Rax/Gate/Queen (when Warpgatetech is resesarched, i use the key which selects all warpgates), 6 Fac/Robo, 7 Starport/Stargate, 9 Forge/EE/Evutionchamber, 0 Armory/Cybernetics core

[quote=""jerom""]
So what control group set ups do you guys use. Does anyone get used to puuting all unit production structures in one control group and then using tab to browse through them
[/quote]
Trump does it, High Level (Top 100) NA terran player, so with training it should work

[quote=""jerom""]
I'm also very interested to hear how you zergs do this, I use 1-3 for army, 4 for all queens and 5 for all hatcheries, but that way you can't check when you have to vomit larvae again, so I'd also be interesting in some of the zerg hotkey set-ups.[/quote]

I have put "Backspace" on a mouse button (Logitech mous with the help of setpoint, some "pure" SC players would call that "cheating") and select queens, hit mouse button, hit x (Grid key for injecting) click on hatchery and hit mouse button to jump to the next hatchery.

Timing is more training i guess, if u want to have exact timing, make a record of "Vomit Larvae, jerom" + recording silence for the duration larvae is injected. When u play Zerg start then this wav, mp3 or whatever and put it on repeat, so u get the timing right, Later u will know it then
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

Check out the rec I just posted for my hotkeys.

Usually its:
1-3 army
4 hatches binded together
5,6,7,8 - individual queens as I expand

This is exactly what Idra does BTW.
GrEaTeR_KnArLoC
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by GrEaTeR_KnArLoC »

I use 1 for my nexus, 2 for my scouting probe (then switch to robotics or stargate or both (2 and 3 then)). That's pretty much it, sometimes i will hotkey my army if i feel like it. Also, when i use templars i hot key them... too many times I had a moved and the temps just walked towards the enemy.

My APM is rly low tho and most people use 4 or 5 for nexus and 1 for army.
HeJurmhoanni
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by HeJurmhoanni »

I have 5 as harassing units/drop/scout, 6 as my main army, 7 as special units like HTs and infestors with every race.

As protoss i have 1 as all nexuses, 2 as gateways, 3 as robotics and 4 as stargates.

As terran i have 1 as all command centers, 2 as raxes, 3 as factories and 4 as starports.

As zerg i have 1,2,3,4 as my hatches (i like to control where i build my stuff from and these hotkeys are similar to my protoss and terran hotkeys).

Also i could use 8, 9 and 0 for even more army control or for tech buildings or nudys.
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

I should prob change my groups, they're a little screwy. I use 1 for cc, 2-5 for army, 0+9 rax, 8 fac, 7+6 starport. The reason I use 2 for rax and starports is I like to use 1 each for reactors and tech labs.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

U don't need to make the difference. U just should remember to press the hotkey for Maruauders before Marines.
ANd even if u produce some marines before, tmarines are first queued to reactor raxes or rax without techlab. That was implemented in a recent patch.
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

Anyone ever thought of using just w for warpgates as protoss, and then hotkey'ing the pylon where you are warping in your units. This seems useful to me since I'm always losing a lot of time scrolling to the pylon I want to warp in units.
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.
Andre_1993
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Andre_1993 »

1- Nexus
2- Main Army
3- Gates
4- Robo
5- Starports
6- Special units (e.g high temps)

this is how i use them^^
Wetmelon
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Wetmelon »

1 - GND Units
2 - AIR Units (or harass)
3 - RAX
4 - Factory/Stargate
5 - CC/Nexus/Hatch
6 - Robotics Core or Harass
7 - Starport for Terran

I guess I should put 6 or 7 as my queens when I play Zerg, but I hardly ever do. Toss playa ;D
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

1-4 are for military units
5 is barracks / gateway
6 is factory / robotics support bay
7 is starport / stargate
8-0 are for nexus / hatchery / command center. i tend to use a different hotkey for each base.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
ckei
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by ckei »

I didnt know I can have one hotkey for all my nexus 8O .Thats awesome!
Valckrie
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Valckrie »

as zerg

5 for all hatches
4 for all queens
1 for main army, e.g. lings
2 for the other units that need seperate micro e.g. banelings
2 sometimes for muta
3 for casters like infestor
6789 i use rarely for individual hatches that are extra or just, overseers and stuff
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

[quote=""Valckrie""]as zerg

5 for all hatches
4 for all queens
1 for main army, e.g. lings
2 for the other units that need seperate micro e.g. banelings
2 sometimes for muta
3 for casters like infestor
6789 i use rarely for individual hatches that are extra or just, overseers and stuff[/quote]
But how do you then manage to see when your queen has to vomit larvae again ?
froggyman
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by froggyman »

1- Nexus
2- Robo or stargate and in beggining scouting probe