1.2 is now scheduled for first week of January

General Discussion about StarCraft 2

Moderators: Global Moderator, SC2 moderator

StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Re: 1.2 is now scheduled for first week of January

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

There are a lot of people in the clan who have used, and do use voice server and are familiar with each other. From AOE3 through TWC and TAD, we have had ups and downs with the voice servers, always dependant on how the game activity was. At some points we have had between 10 and 20 members on almost every night.
Ventrillo was a huge success when we ran it, and it only tailed off as TAD interest tailed off. We are currently in a bit of a lull with SC2, and this is mainly due to lack of clan feature, and lack of cross-continental play. Once this is implemented I am certain that there will be much more clan activity.

As for running different versions, if you don't want to do as marco suggests, you could always go dual-boot and install different versions on seperate OS installs.
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Coma, I'm just speaking from personal experience...I'm not particularly keen on using voice servers with people I don't know very well. It's just weird to me. Generally, I prefer to use regular typing chat when I'm playing with people who aren't familiar to me.

I don't think that sort of feeling is particularly out of the ordinary.

As for cross-continental play - has there been any indication that Blizzard is actually going to implement that? Have they said that will ever be possible without buying multiple versions, or is that simply hopeful speculation? It seems to me that if they wanted it to be possible they would have made it possible by now.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

[quote=""KingKaramazov""]
I don't think that sort of feeling is particularly out of the ordinary.
[/quote]
Don't know, but it is quite usual for me to hop on voice servers and play with people i don't know very well. Just happenend a few days ago.
But well we are all individuals. ;)

[quote=""KingKaramazov""]
As for cross-continental play - has there been any indication that Blizzard is actually going to implement that? Have they said that will ever be possible without buying multiple versions, or is that simply hopeful speculation? It seems to me that if they wanted it to be possible they would have made it possible by now.[/quote]

Yes they said it already before release. It is already implemented for SEA who can access the NA server.
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

Online chatting with fellow gamers is

a) a much more entertaining and fun way 2 game

b) gives ur team an edge

c) a prime way for friendships 2 become stronger/deeper

I would have lost alot more clan games if it hadnt been for Vent/skype. Talking shjt or even singing whilst being raided is simply OP imho. I truly believe that S25 would have never happened if my relationship with key members in this clan had been restricted 2 typing only.

I remember when Id spend hours on ventrillo talking shjt without even logging on ESO. PLUS, nothing beats hearing Strokey opening his Stella Artois cans while waiting for the games 2 start. Well only my own burbs beat it really but thats a whole diferent story.

out
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

[quote=""Comadevil""]
Yes they said it already before release. It is already implemented for SEA who can access the NA server.[/quote]

Before the release of WoW they also said that Hero classes would come out relatively soon. Took them a few years and a couple expansions.

Point being, I don't trust Blizz to actually follow through with that sort of thing unless there's monetary incentive.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

Well cross-realm play between EU and NA server isn't that easy to implement as many think. It is easy to give an EU account to NA people and vice versa. The problem is only that if a server is down because of mainteanance or patching reasons the other server will also go down immediately because everyone wants to play and logs in on this server and crashes it. ANd then Blizzard will have to listen to many more complaints than those cross region complaints.
. Those servers have only the capacity for this region and EU was already at its limits a few weeks ago. So they have to invest a lot of money just to have the capacity of EU+NA in both EU/NA region.
Now people would say: Why divide into regions at all?
Because Blizzard wants to give a good gaming experience without lag. People usually don't tolerate lag. U can see it in every team game if one team mate is lagging he is getting flamed more or less.
And if a European plays against a Korean it is also very laggy. That is why TLO never played on EU server when he was in Korea.
U can be very sure that this latency would Blizzard be blamed for.

and this is what i really don't like about the SC community. the complaining about almost everything. And there u can see that priorities of the community are very different.
And Blizzard also has to make priorities, which they make also on their money incentives (well they are still a company which has to make money) but also on the feedback they get from the community (chat channels, though i don't need them and they were on MY priority list really the lowest. I also would like to see more the clan support and cross-region play first. But htis is because it suits my needs)