Placement matches...

General Discussion about StarCraft 2

Moderators: Global Moderator, SC2 moderator

LaZy
Honorary Officer

Placement matches...

Post by LaZy »

So a couple of sexy peeps were playing 4v4 randoms last night, namely Strokey, LnC, Adder and myself. All of us, cept the dutch representative, are in Platinum in 4v4 randoms. We played our 5 placement matches last night. We won 4 out the 5. LnC checked, post game, the stats on our enemies. Twice we won vs platinum players, and once even a game that included several Diamond players (double photon canon plus 8 pool = gg!). We ended up in Silver league, ranked 30 something. Not that I really care, infact noob bashing is just as much fun as bashing XPrts, but Id just like 2 truly understand the math behind this whole situation.

out

PS on skype u will continue 2 hear terms like......Vills, TC and me singing :D
36drew
Honorary Officer

Re: Placement matches...

Post by 36drew »

Haha -- Lazy on skype is like the 8th wonder of the world. As for how the placement system works -- someone at Blizzard shakes up a magic eight ball and whatever it says is where you get placed.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

[quote=""36drew""]Haha -- Lazy on skype is like the 8th wonder of the world. As for how the placement system works -- someone at Blizzard shakes up a magic eight ball and whatever it says is where you get placed.[/quote]

i heard they draw the leagues you gonna get placed in from aloysius hat^^
i am with you, i still say vills, tc, etc. in teamgames!
DutchNvG
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by DutchNvG »

Blizzard's math is as logical as "1 + 1 = 3" is.
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

Lol, yeah... the placement matches were quite funny.... on the last one I think I had 5 TC's and had a vill tasked to build 8 queued TC's just for kicks, but they quit.... so unfair!!!
Zutazuta
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Zutazuta »

I think they are of the feeling that it's better to put you in a lower league and let your work yourself up to your true rating than to put you above where you belong and be miserable until you lose enough to get down to your rating.
WarlordR
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by WarlordR »

Initial placement seems to be fairly random up to a certain point but from what I can say and understand about the MMR system you will nearly always be put in one of the lower leagues when you qualify late compared to other teams/players.

Official Blizzard FAQ that explains matchmaking and MMR (hidden rating that determins league promotion) can be found over here:

http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/566312237#2

Also in later stages of the game, which is now, you will have a harder time getting into higher leagues as each league contains +- 20% of the players. Seeing how your skill is relative to other players' skill levels you will theoretically only be able to promote once you get better faster than other players do.
GrEaTeR_KnArLoC
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by GrEaTeR_KnArLoC »

Yeah a long time ago i was in a 3v3 arranged team with nitroz and some other guy and we went 5-0 in placements i think but was put in gold >_>

Also, i dont know how you can bear playing 4v4 randoms, there's just too much going on. I got placement in 4v4 random solely for the achievement. That was a while ago, though, maybe ill take a whack at it again.

3v3 random seems the maximum amount of players for me (for a random game), but i havent played too much 3v3 R yet. I kinda like 2v2 random though (as evident in my amount of games played and league+pts xD)

BTW:
sexy peeps

I was expecting to be mentioned :(