First balance patch officially announced + balance details

General Discussion about StarCraft 2

Moderators: Global Moderator, SC2 moderator

GrEaTeR_KnArLoC
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: First balance patch officially announced + balance detai

Post by GrEaTeR_KnArLoC »

Waiting 5 extra seconds for warpgate and zealots.... k.
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

5 seconds isnt much , could be worse. still got chrono boost
- Dan
Zutazuta
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Zutazuta »

Terrible patch. :/

Doesn't fix the big problems. T's still op, and Zerg and Toss flop spots in the cellar. Hooray for Blizzard and fail patching.
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

game is still brand new

they have to change it little by little until its just right.

not like BroodWar all of a sudden became the masterpiece it is after a few patches.

it's Blizzard , not Ensemble lol be patient
BALANCE WILL COME!!!!
- Dan
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

[quote=""Aaryn_GenD""]...

and lazy can you tell me which 3d mode is better in mid september when this patch is out? unpatched aoe3 3D or sc2 patched 3D?...[/quote]

what I can tgell u right now is simple. Although Nvidia classifies SC2 as having GOOD 3D compatablity I can simply not play the game. The steroscopic images are 2 wide apart from 1 another. It is unplayable. So I play in 2D instead. Quite sad really for a game that is new on the market and could\ should have implemented that technology more efficiently imo.

Still, SC2 with everything on Ultra is frickin awesome I have 2 admit.

Patch seems reasonable. I also apreciated the fact that blizzard explained the "why" to their nerfs and boosts. It is, on the other hand, always going 2 kick them in the butt since explanations will always result in more means 2 argue than 2 simply b given patch notes without explanation (imho). I agree with Zuta with the fact that the BIG issues have not really been addressed.

With regards 2 community NOTHING has been done. The ingame VoiP feature is rare if not unused. Clan features remain unexistant and overall social welfare is simply crap. And we all know its crap bcos we will always compare the social aspect of the game with ESO, which is/was utter crap. But battlenet is even worse.

out
Bart331
Major
Major

Post by Bart331 »

Doesn't fix the big problems. T's still op, and Zerg and Toss flop spots in the cellar. Hooray for Blizzard and fail patching.
I like how they approach it, they observe the servers for 1 month and don't rush into things. Then they take action and do little changes, if they keep repeating this after a while the game will be more and more balanced. I don't expect a fully balanced game right at the start and i truly believe blizzard has the dedication to get this game an awesome balance.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

[quote=""LaZy""]
what I can tgell u right now is simple. Although Nvidia classifies SC2 as having GOOD 3D compatablity I can simply not play the game. The steroscopic images are 2 wide apart from 1 another. It is unplayable. So I play in 2D instead. Quite sad really for a game that is new on the market and could\ should have implemented that technology more efficiently imo.

Still, SC2 with everything on Ultra is frickin awesome I have 2 admit.
[/quote]
Well the new patch will improve it as u wished. I don't know if u have read the following since it wasn't in my original quote
Patch 1.1 will contain a number of improvements including additional mod features, Editor improvements and bug fixes, some custom game improvements, support for NVIDIA’s 3D Vision, and more.

[quote=""LaZy""]
With regards 2 community NOTHING has been done.
[/quote]
Yea, but they said it already short after release that community features won't be added with the first "real" patch. They will add some things near the end of year

[quote=""LaZy""]
The ingame VoiP feature is rare if not unused.
[/quote]
Well people are used to TS, Ventrilo etc. U won't change them. :P Best example was our clan. ;) BTW i will provide in near future a mumble voice server. It is already up and running

Also some people are bad mannered. If u have a team game there are sometimes people who even flame allies. I really don't want to listen to that

[quote=""LaZy""]
Clan features remain unexistant and overall social welfare is simply crap. And we all know its crap bcos we will always compare the social aspect of the game with ESO, which is/was utter ****. But battlenet is even worse.
[/quote]
Yes, but if they add chat channels and the clan features it will also be the same already and IMO even better than ESO because SC2 has a really great observer function where ES failed miserably
To be honest i like even this battle.net more than ESO because i really didn't care much for the chat channels. Only the clan feature was of some use since it was easy to find and add clan members to ur friendslist and also better for recruitment.

But the replay and observer function gave me already much more fun since u can watch replays descently and even rewind them and u can watch and get better commentaries during live matches. I watched some IEM and MLG Raleigh matches livestreams.
Or this livestream of this diamond rank 1 player Trump (US server) who analyzes/observes games of bronze-diamond players live, gives them tips during playing via Skype or answers there question when they watch the replay. Or u can just watch how he plays games and he explains much during playing

But that's just my view for battle.net since i read many posts of people who have other priorities or wishes concerning battle.net

PAtching: I also really like the Blizzard approach of small steps. They had success with it and i am quite optimistic that they won't fail here also. I am quite a fan of Blizzard because of that long year, small step patching although Blizzard has some attitudes like other studios converning in my eyes dubious money making like this facebook feature etc.

I guess the big difference between Blizzard and ES/RE is, that Blizzard pays the development of its own games and decides for the support on their own and can patch as long as they want and also have now bigger resources due to the huge success of WoW which unfortunately also delayed some games imo. In contrast to that ES/RE is paid by MS and if MS loses interest in one game, then support is fast over. I hope for the AOE community it will be different with AOEO.
Also that patches have to be sent to MS and they will give the last yes or no is a bit bureaucraic and hindering imo.
So RE/ES cannot be blamed for all the patch misery we had to endure. Only their strange "only buff" policy was quite getting on my nerves

Well the post was getting bigger than expected :P

End
deaconferal
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
AOE3 Nickname: Deacon

Post by deaconferal »

[quote=""deadhanddan""]game is still brand new

they have to change it little by little until its just right.

not like BroodWar all of a sudden became the masterpiece it is after a few patches.

it's Blizzard , not Ensemble lol be patient
BALANCE WILL COME!!!![/quote]

I agree. I think the small steady patch route is much better than ES' approach to things, and will ensure better balance in the end.
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

[quote=""Bart331""]fully upgraded ultra's are OP!, and if possible i use them in every game[/quote]

In exactly how many games do you get the chance to trot out fully upgraded ultralisks?

Better question: why are you playing against mentally disabled 5 year olds?
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
DutchNvG
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by DutchNvG »

[quote=""KingKaramazov""][quote=""Bart331""]fully upgraded ultra's are OP!, and if possible i use them in every game[/quote]

In exactly how many games do you get the chance to trot out fully upgraded ultralisks?

Better question: why are you playing against mentally disabled 5 year olds?[/quote]

Well King, your "question" is in my opinion just bullsh*t, you can't really say that kind of things... By that, Bart said "if possible" what means that he can't use them every game (and some people prefer to play defensive instead of aggresive). I am a Zerg player myself and it isn't rare (especially against Terran) to have some fully upgraded Ultralisk in the end of the game.
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

i agree with dutchnvg. if you would have watched some tournament replays you see utlralisks very often and in quite big numbers too (usually 5-10)
they are totallty useful, granted your opponent went for some unit combo were ultralisks make sense
Zutazuta
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Zutazuta »

[quote=""Bart331""]

I like how they approach it, they observe the servers for 1 month and don't rush into things. Then they take action and do little changes, if they keep repeating this after a while the game will be more and more balanced. I don't expect a fully balanced game right at the start and i truly believe blizzard has the dedication to get this game an awesome balance.[/quote]

I don't mind little changes, but if you're going to address changes, address the important changes not little abstract ones that hardly matter.
Roger_The_Rogue
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by Roger_The_Rogue »

This thread has made me ROFL cos this situation is almost exactly same as during the patch changes to orginal SC a decade ago. :D

What made SC and SC:BW great games is that Blizzard have made lots of patches with 'little' changes until a good balance was reached (after 15/16 patches!). So I rather have lots of patches with 'little' changes instead of few patches with big changes like ESO.

So be patient with Blizzard and those 'liitle' patches - a good balance will be reached. ;)
Bart331
Major
Major

Post by Bart331 »

Better question: why are you playing against mentally disabled 5 year olds?
when i decide to play serious and go for a macro build my ultimate goal is mostly getting ultra's out and defend/macro till then. Since i can defend vs most timing pushes i manage to get them out quite often. Or they resign if their push nr X failed. With Zerg you got to plan ahead a bit and build that infestation pit in time and tech to hive in time, so you got ur ultra's out in time before you see an enemy force which will only be countered by ultra's.

And plz dont insult my opponents, most are good friends who are pretty good at this game.
I don't mind little changes, but if you're going to address changes, address the important changes not little abstract ones that hardly matter.
As a zerg player i am a huge fan of the tank nerf, bunker nerf (i rather had seen they changed the salvage function), the reaper nerf (a change in their siege ability/speed would also have been nice), i think it will make ZvT much easier to play. In ZvP the Zealot change is huge, i think it will redesign the early game and all 2 gate FE strats are nerfed seriously. There are still issues ofcoure but my win percentages should be higher after this patch ^^.

I hope next patch includes:

- a little tweak to marauders, they are too strong. Its a bit strange that in PvT marauders counter all gateway units
-muta maybe need a change in their ability to counter thors, it now almost seems if the only viable anti air is turrets/marines.
-void ray need a change, massed protoss air is too strong
-ZvZ also needs a fix somehow, it now ends up too often in ling bling all ins, maybe a faster training time for roaches can fix this
-
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

My main point, Bart, is that the primary issues with Zerg in 1v1 are early game; unless you significantly out play your opponent (read: build a bunch more bases and out-macro), you're not gonna get a chance to ever use tier 3 units. The Zerg army is so gas-heavy that merely surviving through mid-game against an aggressive opponent of relatively equal skill means delaying tier 3 by quite a bit.

Once you're at tier 3, ultras are okay, but still die fairly quickly for how much they cost and have pathing issues if used with zerglings / banes. Brood Lords are almost always a much more effective option. Ultralisks just seem like a strangely designed unit because they are meant to counter armor but are armored and bulky themselves; they get destroyed by massed anti-armor units, especially marauders. Their massive size means they often lose much of their hp before they even get to the opponent. The fact that Blizzard severely nerfed their hp in beta doesn't help any.

Bottom line, I don't see the need for nerfing ultralisk damage. Zerg needs help and additional strategic options earlier in the game. Zerg tier 3 isn't even that strong unless you are able to mass brood lords, anyway. Ultralisks might be a more viable choice in most games if it were easier to actually survive long enough to get them.

I'd really like to see the Roach fixed; once upon a time in beta it was a much more interesting unit, tho a bit overpowered. Now it's very bland and not all that useful; it's almost always better to go for speedlings and banes early on.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey