Random Team Placement -.-

General Discussion about StarCraft 2

Moderators: Global Moderator, SC2 moderator

KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Random Team Placement -.-

Post by KingKaramazov »

There's something screwy with the way B.Net places you based on your Random Team placement matches.

I played through my placement matches doing 2v2 RT and in every single match I was clearly the best player, leading all players in score by at least 20k points (often more than doubling my opponents' scores).

Of course, since it was RT I was often placed with allies who had no economy and / or skipped tier 1 units to tech, making my placement matches feel rather like 2v1s. I lost more than I won, and was placed in Bronze.

I'm no expert but I know I'm far better than Bronze; I keep pace with Arranged Team partners who are in Platinum and Diamond. I've yet to play any 1v1 league matches but in Beta Phase 1 I was atop my Gold division.

Long story short, I feel that more than the outcome of placement matches should be considered, at least for RT when the disparity between the skill of allies is often so great.

Whatever; I suppose I'll just get a bunch of easy wins until they bump me up a league in Random Team. Meanwhile, I can get more legit rankings playing with all of you in arranged teams. There's always 1v1, too. I know I'm at least Gold there, if not Platinum.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Re: Random Team Placement -.-

Post by Comadevil »

Well such things happen also the other way around. Ask Strokey ;)

I guess in team games it will take much longer till everything is sorted out because it really depends on the teammates and later in upper leagues u will also meet often teams which play together all the time
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

AT is the way to go, grab yourself a friend, use the voice chat and have fun talking while massacring the opponent.^^
if you wanna play RT though (or have to) then that is the drawback and a gamble. do you check often? how often do you get RT and how often do you get AT?

i like it how rating is seperate with every partner you have, all your RT games are counted into one rating

i generally find the matchmaking to be screwy right now, i guess if they fix that then teamgames will get smoother too
Long story short, I feel that more than the outcome of placement matches should be considered, at least for RT when the disparity between the skill of allies is often so great.
good idea but how could one implement that?
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

[quote=""Aaryn_GenD""]
i generally find the matchmaking to be screwy right now, i guess if they fix that then teamgames will get smoother too
good idea but how could one implement that?[/quote]

well, a couple of things:

a) incorporate post-game scores into the calculations...if a player on a team loses but has a much higher score than everybody else in the game, that indicates he was far better than the rest of his team. that should be considered. i shouldn't be penalized because i couldn't build up an army capable of wiping out both of my opponents and babysit my fledgling partner at the same time.

b)* Randomly matched partners should NOT have to faced arranged partners. It is completely unfair and undermines the competitive balance of random team. An arranged team will almost always win unless there is an outrageous difference in skill level. Random teammates never had to faced arranged teams in WC3, and this is how it should still be.

*If this has changed since beta, please let me know - but that's how it was in the past.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
ZoRPrimE
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ZoRPrimE »

[quote=""KingKaramazov""]

well, a couple of things:

a) incorporate post-game scores into the calculations...if a player on a team loses but has a much higher score than everybody else in the game, that indicates he was far better than the rest of his team. that should be considered. i shouldn't be penalized because i couldn't build up an army capable of wiping out both of my opponents and babysit my fledgling partner at the same time.

b)* Randomly matched partners should NOT have to faced arranged partners. It is completely unfair and undermines the competitive balance of random team. An arranged team will almost always win unless there is an outrageous difference in skill level. Random teammates never had to faced arranged teams in WC3, and this is how it should still be.

*If this has changed since beta, please let me know - but that's how it was in the past.[/quote]
a) valid Idea, doubt they'll implement it. Probably best option is b)
b) DOW2 has same problem. It makes Random team nothing but a "I want punishment" option. Random has to be vs. random or it's just slaughter 90+% of the time. It's like the sucker option of RTS gaming.
"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

point a can definitely be abused :(
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

[quote=""jerom""]point a can definitely be abused :([/quote]

the way the system already works is an abuse in itself
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

no it isn't an abuse, right now it is good. if you play random, that's the way it is.
only option would be to seperate RT and AT.
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

[quote=""Aaryn_GenD""]no it isn't an abuse, right now it is good. if you play random, that's the way it is.
only option would be to seperate RT and AT.[/quote]

separating RT and AT should be a given; it's ridiculous that it is this way currently.

you can't "abuse" the current system, per se, but it is pretty broken anyway; in the majority of games a random team player is not placed with somebody close to his own skill level. that can be attributed in large part to the crap way the system calculates skill in random team.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

[quote=""KingKaramazov""][quote=""Aaryn_GenD""]no it isn't an abuse, right now it is good. if you play random, that's the way it is.

separating RT and AT should be a given; it's ridiculous that it is this way currently.

you can't "abuse" the current system, per se, but it is pretty broken anyway; in the majority of games a random team player is not placed with somebody close to his own skill level. that can be attributed in large part to the crap way the system calculates skill in random team.[/quote]

yes i was just surprised that you used the word "abuse", as i don't see how RT vs AT is an abusable thing, just unfair^^.

i really think blizzard's goal with this was that people only play with friends they know. they also added the "Resign & Out" to games so that you have to add people if you wanna talk to them after the game

the pool of players is actually big enough to seperate RT and AT.
Last edited by Aaryn_GenD on Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

[quote=""Aaryn_GenD""][quote=""KingKaramazov""][quote=""Aaryn_GenD""]no it isn't an abuse, right now it is good. if you play random, that's the way it is.

you can't "abuse" the current system, per se, but it is pretty broken anyway; in the majority of games a random team player is not placed with somebody close to his own skill level. that can be attributed in large part to the crap way the system calculates skill in random team.[/quote]

yes i was just surprised that you used the word "abuse", as i don't see how RT vs AT is an abusable thing, just unfair^^.

i really think blizzard's goal with this was that people only play with friends they know. they also added the "Resign & Out" to games so that you have to add people if you wanna talk ot hem after the game

the pool of players is actuallyy big enough to seperate RT and AT.[/quote]

more than big enough