Moderators: Global Moderator, SC2 moderator

Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Vod about general things @Drew

Post by Comadevil »

Hi!

Did someone of you did already a vod or anything like that for a 08/15(usual) build order? I make those practice games and soon my opponent comes with flying saucers and i am already done, while searching on the map how to get to my opponent. And it is not only me who has that problem :P
Last edited by Comadevil on Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Vod about general things @Drew

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

hey coma.
i think i get what you mean correct me if i'm wrong :)

terran are the only race which are an exception to this rule, so i go on about zerg and protoss.

if you come with a) cloaked b)air units, and your opponent is not prepared for thtat, he will lose instantly.

lets say a terran player made 80% marauder and only 20% marines, if his zerg opponent teched to lair (kinda like ff) and gets 8+ mutas out, the game is overthe marauders cannot attack the air unit (muta attack both air and ground) and you are screwed. you won't get up the towers in time once they're out.

same for a zerg player if he is still not teched to lair (still in colonial) and you come with cloakced banshees. there is no way for him to reveal your units, with the exception of building and evo chamber and building spore crawlers (but there is no time for that if you surprise him).
same with a protoss going fsat dark templar, they are cloaked and thus will own anything that cannot uncloak them

so as terran you can reveal cloacked units by: orbital command-> scan, missile turret, ravens, ghost's emp ability.
zerg got their overlods which can transform to overseers (only when you teched to lair) and their spine crawlers
protoss got their observer unit or photon cannons.

standard strats are mmm ball for terran, 3/ warpgate push into stargate or robo for protoss, and ling start with roaches(or baneling bust) or direct tech to lair. you can check my recently posted games, but be care ful and be sure they areon patch 20
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Comadevil »

Let's say ummh my problems are more basic.
I just need a build order how to survive the first 5 minutes of a game (as Terran lets begin with that).
I haven't read all those unit guides (ok i read one but forgot everything instantly) and played only a few games and watched 2-3 replays.
At my first game in phase 2 i didn't know how to get my advanced buildings. In the second game i knew it already but didn't had really good units when the opponent came with flying things. I guess with my play style i would be now last of the lowest league
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

what race are you playing?
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Comadevil »

Terran
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

There is a really popular build right now where terran goes for a helion into banshee harass.

Day9 did a daily on it @ Kulas Ravine. And it really explains it pretty well.

It was a day or two ago.

Oh, and it's a real pain in the ass to deal with. The two strats that are giving me the hardest time at the moment revolve around pheonixs and banshees. Other than that, I know how to deal with most things okay at this point in time. The annoying thing about the bloody banshee harass, and that 2 can one-hitkill a drone. Whereas with mutalisks for example, you need 5 to one hit kill a drone.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Comadevil »

[quote=""36drew""]
Day9 did a daily on it @ Kulas Ravine. And it really explains it pretty well.
[/quote]
Where to find?
Bart331
Major
Major

Post by Bart331 »

If you are a total newbie a general Terran BO is :

-always make scv

-get a supply depot on 9, after its done send him to scout enemy base see if he is rushing you, what he is doing

-get a barracks at 12

(you can use the first barracks+supply depot and another depot to make a little wall of buildings which helps alot vs zerg rushes)

-while building barracks get gas
-as soon as barracks is finished tech to orbital command at cc (this should be 15 or 16)

-always get atleast 1 marine out of barracks

then you got multiple options, you can go 3 raxes and spam from them for Marine + Maruader, you can go for extra factory and later starport to go tank viking, you can go for a fast expansion or somethig. Keep sending mule from oc and maybe use scan to scout a bit.

Remember to make really a lot of military buildings to spam your resources away, you need much more then in aoe3.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

it's actually supply depot at 10, rax at 12 :-P
what bart said is standard and should allow you to start
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

well, I understood pretty much none of that. lol. I'm in the same boat as coma on this. I have no clue whatsoever.
Bart331
Major
Major

Post by Bart331 »

basic idea is to make continuously scv's and not getting housed (supply depot) while being able to squeeze some techs into your build (barracks / orbital command)

when a build says at 8 they mean the counter in the top right says 8/10 for example

Maybe watch some recs to get a basic idea of it, and see how efficient ppl spend their resources in the beginning to create an advantage
joe4holly
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by joe4holly »

[quote=""StrokeyBlofeld""]well, I understood pretty much none of that. lol. I'm in the same boat as coma on this. I have no clue whatsoever.[/quote]

same , no clue at all , I just built the biggest unit as I can and hope.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Comadevil »

Well, i wanted to upgrade to OC and i realized only after three games that u cannot have units in the queue and queue building upgrades at the same time.

Well lost ten games in a row (ok it was seven), i have at least a little idea what i am doing but i also have not much motivation left and landed in bronze league as expected.

One game i quit early, maybe i could have beaten him but i don't like flames so i left ;)
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

i found a great resoure for people who are confused by the counter system:

use the inbuild Mini-Scenarios(SinglePlayer, right side of menu).

when ingame, press F12 and you see the tips bar showing you what units to use against what, this in conjunction with this
http://eu.battle.net/sc2/de/game/unit/viking
is amazing.