General Discussion about StarCraft 2

Moderators: Global Moderator, SC2 moderator

Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

random race is a lie

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

in sc2 you can pick random civ but to me it seems like a lie:
it isn't really random and i'm not the only one saying it.
it seems like it gives you the race you played the least.

that's a terrible move by blizzard imo, they clearly wanna make you play all the races so you get the "full experience" when chosing random.

random should be random :-P

thoguhts?
36drew
Honorary Officer

Re: random race is a lie

Post by 36drew »

Random should be random. For sure.

Can we prove that it's not random though? Hard to say.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

[quote=""36drew""]Random should be random. For sure.

Can we prove that it's not random though? Hard to say.[/quote]

i played like 12 games as random and 80% of the time i got zerg, who are my least played civ. and i heard similar stuff on other forums.

could be coincidence but i believe there is more to it
DutchNvG
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by DutchNvG »

[quote=""Aaryn_GenD""][quote=""36drew""]Random should be random. For sure.

i played like 12 games as random and 80% of the time i got zerg, who are my least played civ. and i heard similar stuff on other forums.

could be coincidence but i believe there is more to it[/quote]

If I'm not wrong (I have never had chance-math), the chance you got the Zerg in 8 of the 12 games is:
0.33^(0.80x12) = 2.38x10^-5 = 0.000238% chance, which is nearly impossible when it's random....

Though, I don't think Blizzard would do this kind of things.
Last edited by DutchNvG on Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

[quote=""DutchNvG""]
Though, I don't think Blizzard would do this kind of things.[/quote]

why don't you think that? look how much they try to get every unit and ability in the game not to be useless, i can fully imagine how they do this on purpose just so that the game gets more "interesting".

imagine you play terran and protoss, then you play 10 games as randoma nd get like 7 games your races... wouldn't be too different form your usual play or ?

i'm with drew on this matter: random should be random - no matter wahat
DutchNvG
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by DutchNvG »

[quote=""Aaryn_GenD""]

look how much they try to get every unit and ability in the game not to be useless, i can fully imagine how they do this on purpose just so that the game gets more "interesting".[/quote]

True, Blizzard is trying to get everything usefull and used. Though I am wondering whether you make a game more interesting this way or less interesting (by people contstantly saying things like: "oohh I didn't get the race I wanted, it's not my usual one, why does it always go like this..." because of the fact that they dislike the race). This surely isn't an improvement when loads of people are going to say this kind of things.

[quote=""Aaryn_GenD""]

imagine you play terran and protoss, then you play 10 games as randoma nd get like 7 games your races... wouldn't be too different form your usual play or ?[/quote]

Well, I think that, no matter what race you play the most, you eventually learn to play all the races. This means that the system Blizzard made for this (making sure you play every race) only works in the beginning when you are not experianced with all races. After this period you probably are going to see reactions like I wrote above when people don't get their race they want to play.

[quote=""Aaryn_GenD""]

i'm with drew on this matter: random should be random - no matter wahat[/quote]

Yeah, same here. I think random should be random. But what like Adam already said, it's very hard to prove whether the random system is correct or incorrect. Even if you prove somehow that it's incorrect, what can you do about it? Probably the only thing it will result in is that the "random" option will be used less.
Last edited by DutchNvG on Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

[quote=""DutchNvG""][quote=""Aaryn_GenD""][quote=""36drew""]Random should be random. For sure.

If I'm not wrong (I have never had chance-math), the chance you got the Zerg in 8 of the 12 games is:
0.33^(0.80x12) = 2.38x10^-5 = 0.000238% chance, which is nearly impossible when it's random....

Your probability arugement is highly flawed. I don't have time for an explanation right now, but trust me on it.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

[quote=""Aaryn_GenD""][quote=""36drew""]Random should be random. For sure.

This is beta. They can use the random functionality to get the games they want, so they also get feedback on an underused civ or of people who don't like a civ and why. If u experience this after release there is enough time for complaining
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

Well If you play random, does it actually matter which civ you get, since when you decided to play random you actually said you wouldn't care which civ you would get, even if it's your least used one.

I must say I agree that random must be random, but this isn't that terrible.
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.
Bart331
Major
Major

Post by Bart331 »

[quote=""36drew""][quote=""DutchNvG""][quote=""Aaryn_GenD""][quote=""36drew""]Random should be random. For sure.

Your probability arugement is highly flawed. I don't have time for an explanation right now, but trust me on it.[/quote]

for 8 out of 12 its (12nCr8)*(1/3)^8 * (2/3)^4 = 0,014 , i was bored and made little graph

http://img29.imageshack.us/i/graphhd.jpg/
DutchNvG
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by DutchNvG »

[quote=""Bart331""][quote=""36drew""][quote=""DutchNvG""][quote=""Aaryn_GenD""][quote=""36drew""]Random should be random. For sure.

Your probability arugement is highly flawed. I don't have time for an explanation right now, but trust me on it.[/quote]

for 8 out of 12 its (12nCr8)*(1/3)^8 * (2/3)^4 = 0,014 , i was bored and made little graph

http://img29.imageshack.us/i/graphhd.jpg/[/quote]

Nice job ;) Too bad that I haven't chosen for the chance-math on school but for the other option...
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

[quote=""jerom""]Well If you play random, does it actually matter which civ you get, since when you decided to play random you actually said you wouldn't care which civ you would get, even if it's your least used one.[/quote]

well if i chose random... i wanna get random civ!!!

i know my least used civ i can pick zerg 8 out of 10 times, which renders the random option more useless.

if you haven't figured out yet why i care, this is why:

i want the spectre avatar ;)
and if i get zerg 80% of the time i have a tough time winning games and only wins count towrads this picture (5 wins as each race and 5 wins as random)
Last edited by Aaryn_GenD on Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

That makes some sense, though you also have to win 5 times as zerg, so that should be impossible too :P

But I totally agree, random must be random
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.
HeJurmhoanni
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by HeJurmhoanni »

I just got terran three times in a row after the account reset.. And i have to get my spectre portrait back!!
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

[quote=""HeJurmhoanni""]I just got terran three times in a row after the account reset.. And i have to get my spectre portrait back!![/quote]

me too :-P
lets see who gets it faster