General Discussion about StarCraft 2

Moderators: Global Moderator, SC2 moderator

etrips888
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: SC2 to be region locked

Post by etrips888 »

It is really dumb

But something i thought was interesting from that interview is that apparently the Australians got grouped in with the Asia server. Isn't a huge deal when gaming, but it still must be hard trying to communicate with the Koreans and such when not everyone knows english. And also they got grouped into the hardest server 8)
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

Well there are not that much Australians, so shouldn't be that big of a problem.

Anyway I think blizzard is making this game somewhat worse with this, it does really disappoint me, since It's hard to fund to games for me with pocketmoney -.-
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

[quote=""36drew""]In Sc 1 you could switch servers easier than you can switch from RE to FP. I guess I might be buying two copies of the game if need be.

The funny thing is that now when I ask someone in game 'from?' Half the time it isn't from North America, and there usually is never a lag issue in 1v1 or 2v2 for that matter.[/quote]

Yeah, I really don't understand where this is coming from. I've never had a problem with lag in the past playing with friends from Europe.

I imagine this is Blizzard catering to their Asian audience again...preventing Americans from playing on Korean servers and visa versa, which can result in lag issues.

I just don't understand why this had to be their solution, though. Why not just prevent foreign-client users from playing in ladder games? At least you could play custom games with foreign friends.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
HeJurmhoanni
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by HeJurmhoanni »

BS!
wicked_assassin
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by wicked_assassin »

hahahahaha lol, what a noob game... seriously you coud at least put the euros and the americans together.
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

[quote=""wicked_assassin""]hahahahaha lol, what a noob game... seriously you coud at least put the euros and the americans together.[/quote]
I totally agree, buying this game twice would be spending 33 % of all the money i possess
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

nobody forces you to buy it twice. just buy it once (if you do at all) like me ;-)
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

Is this decision set in absolute stone? I can't see anyone being happy about this, apart from Blizzard... and tbh, they should be smart enough to know that it's not going to be a popular choice. On the other hand, I guess they know that most people will buy it even if they are not happy about the server set up.
etrips888
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by etrips888 »

Well yeah we could just buy it once, but as we were talking before aaryn, I think its really idiotic to force a separation between the different regions, especially for the EU and north america.

I can see this being fine for console gamers, who for the most part don't communicate with other people that much when they play. But for computer gamers, who constantly chat online, and visit forums such as these, we meet a lot of people who live outside our own "region"

I mean if this stays as is, and I get the US version, I don't know if I would like it that much because that would cut out more than half of the people I would want to play with. Now that I think about it, I will probably end up getting the EU version just cause I want to play with N3O and other people I met from AOE, and I feel a majority of those people are from Europe...

I just don't like this separation. It just stinks of activision coming in and trying to pull as much money as they can out of us gamers. Kind of interesting thread over at TL if anyone is interested. The reason I'm ranting is probably just from reading that thread haha
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmes ... _id=128252
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

I think this region locking isn't really about money.
To be honest: How many people care about playing against other people who come from other continents? There are those people who play esports on a high level and intercontinental clans like we and a few who have friends on another continent. The very, very huge rest doesn't care at all. So there isn't huge potential in money making.
My guess is that they just want to divide the players so Blizzard doesn't have to think about load and lag issues if Battle.Net gets too crowded
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

[quote=""Comadevil""]I think this region locking isn't really about money.
To be honest: How many people care about playing against other people who come from other continents? There are those people who play esports on a high level and intercontinental clans like we and a few who have friends on another continent. The very, very huge rest doesn't care at all. So there isn't huge potential in money making.
My guess is that they just want to divide the players so Blizzard doesn't have to think about load and lag issues if Battle.Net gets too crowded[/quote]
That's what I've been thinking. If I wouldn't know you guys and started to play SC2, I'd never really notice that I would be playing on a different server, and I wouldn't really care either.
Since the majority of the people who are going to play SC2 don't really know much people they would like they play, they won't care.
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

Well maybe we as a clan or the Aoe3 community as a whole should think about which server would be best for us all to play on, so we can still play together.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

[quote=""etrips888""]Well yeah we could just buy it once, but as we were talking before aaryn, I think its really idiotic to force a separation between the different regions, especially for the EU and north america. [/quote]

i agree etrips that it's a idiotic on their side and i dislike their latest decisions to the fullest, but not much we can do

[quote=""Comadevil""]I think this region locking isn't really about money.
My guess is that they just want to divide the players so Blizzard doesn't have to think about load and lag issues if Battle.Net gets too crowded[/quote]

exactly my thoughts. apart from those pros/semi-pros and people who wanna play with people they got to know from before, it doesn't really matter if i play vs europeans, asians or mongols (assuming gameplay is smooth, which it is):-P
it's just bad for a clan like us or people having friends overseas

[quote=""Blackadderthe4th""]Well maybe we as a clan or the Aoe3 community as a whole should think about which server would be best for us all to play on, so we can still play together.[/quote]

a very good idea., didn't really think of that. gotta make a poll then: which of the US guys or which of the Eu guys here wouldn't mind playing on the other realm?
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

[quote=""Blackadderthe4th""]Well maybe we as a clan or the Aoe3 community as a whole should think about which server would be best for us all to play on, so we can still play together.[/quote]
Though if you for example live in Europe, but go to the Us server, there will be fewer people online at those times, but i doubt if that is very influential given the expected SC2 community.
Anyway if we would choose a server I vote for EU server, since my comp can't even play aoe3 with people oversees with minumum graphics without lagging badly :-P
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

Well, if we all go to the same server it won't matter about times as we are looking for games with eachother as appose to random?