Euro 2012

You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Euro 2012

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

peles brazil and maradonas argentina were world class. but don't forget that the brazil of the 90's and early 2000's was also extremely strong. i tihnk this team is comparable to the brazil of the 90's.. just not as strong but overall the team spirit is very good. since most of the player in the national team of spain play in the primera division anyway (fc barcelona) their harmony is unparalleled
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

I completely agree.

You bring back memories of Romario in his prime.  Very, very few are or were on his level.  That's when I fell in love with this game.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

HOlland in '74 was insane aswell right ? They just forgot to win....
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Brazil would beat this Spain every day of the week. How could they lose to Holland in South Africa is something I'll never understand.

Portugal vs Spain would have been the fair final of this Euro, too bad it wasn't possible.
generalbuschmann
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by generalbuschmann »

brazil sucks right now...
and i think spain is the best team of all time until now, because the game is developing over time. the best team in 10 years will probably be even better than spain...
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

generalbuschmann wrote: brazil sucks right now...
and i think spain is the best team of all time until now, because the game is developing over time. the best team in 10 years will probably be even better than spain...
I don't know how old you are or how much you've watched of past soccer, but pop in some tapes from 86 - 94 world cups.  Brazil and Argentina would kill this Spain team.  The Germans were damned good too and their defense was grand. 

Brazil had Romario, Dunga, Cafu, Bebeto, a young Roberto Carlos, Jorginho and a midfield that would kill you.  Just ask Tab Ramos.
Germany had Mathaus, Klinsmann, Voller, Sammer.

Argentina was also stacked.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
generalbuschmann
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by generalbuschmann »

over 20 years ago right. the game developed, over time the level raised a lot, and it wont stop rising because it is the most popular sport! its even worse if you compare todays games with those of 30+ years ago, the progress football took is huge...
maybe the brazil of that time played beautiful football and they were the all time best team at that time. the spanish games are mostly boring, but they are insanely efficient and win all the stuff and they are not as spectacular as those brazilian "artists", but playing beautiful  doesnt make you the best team...
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

This Spanish team isn't as good as you paint it. They lacked good opponents. In Portugal no one had faith in our team when we first lost against Germany and even though we were underrating the team a little it wasn't that far from truth. The same team that countered Spain into a 0-0 after 120 mins. And Croatia got hit with the ref otherwise they'd have at least tied vs Spain too.
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

Go watch the full games from that time and then make your case.  Respectfully, you're biased because of recent achievements by Spain.
jtackel@hotmail.com

Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

it's also unfair to compare those times to now. if you're good now, you go to one of the super professional football countries in europe (england, germany (ok not so much xD), france italy or spain).
Back then people played for the country they were raised in.
this means the discrepancy back then was much bigger, nowadays more people are on the same level so it's actually tougher to stand out., back then a single player would break or take the game.
look at the german team now and at the old german team, more than half the german team isn't even german. could oyu imagine stuff like that during the Kaiser's zeit (Franz Beckenbauer)

my biggest dream in 1998 was that Chilavert the keeper of Paraguay went to Brazil, he's easily top 5 goalkeeper of all time