Algarve Cup

You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Algarve Cup

Post by Soccerman771 »

For Sporting (& Lazy since he's closer :) )

Studio 90: The WNT Arrives in Portugal

The USWNT just arrived there today.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: Algarve Cup

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Always nice to see girls playing football :D
Bart332
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Bart332 »

tbh i think girls playing beachvolleybal are much nicer.

The level of football is also dramatic, most amateur teams will absolutely destroy them.

Why arent they cooking?
wicked_assassin
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by wicked_assassin »

... bart, that's just being sexist.

Besides real men can cook better then any girl  :)
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

Actually funny story. My dad once played against the national Dutch soccer team indoor. I dont think he and his team mates were like at their prime time (prolly somewhere in the 30ies) but still they won 9-1 :P

Bart's totally right about the beachvolleyball part though ! But I prefer hockey after all XD
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

US Women's National team has won more world cups than the England, Dutch, Portuguese and Belgium Men's national teams have combined....

There, that should get things fired up nicely.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

Well maybe thats because there are less countries that are able to compete with them because of the still existing differences between men and women. Also the USA have like twice as many, if not three times as many inhabitants as England, Portugal, Holland and Belgium combined...
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

How many inhabitants do Brazil have?

Are you saying that our women are more advanced than your women???
jtackel@hotmail.com

joe4holly
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by joe4holly »

Jerom football for women in the US is huge,  someone who used to live near me who was with Arsenal girls youth setup, ended up moving to the US to play.
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

Soccerman771 wrote: How many inhabitants do Brazil have?

no but that Chinese women for example will never participate in soccer. I think it's very depending on the culture. I definitely see people in my country think that it is a bit weird that a girl is playing soccer (like that it is not something a girl is supposed to do). Thats probably a big factor why many women dont play soccer in those countries. As more players = better national team I think that means that the amount of presence of this cultural kind of factor can definitely make the strength of the team.

Now this is pretty normal (also in men sports) but I feel like the current vision on women playing soccer is rapidly changing so this makes these differences between countries bigger. I hope you can get what I am trying to say btw because I feel like i havent explained it that well here XD
Bart332
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Bart332 »

problem with woman football is that the level is really really poor. And even if u won 1000 titles with woman football i still dont give a crap since i dont consider it as a sport, more as a hobby besides cooking
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

jerom wrote:
Soccerman771 wrote: How many inhabitants do Brazil have?

no but that Chinese women for example will never participate in soccer. I think it's very depending on the culture. I definitely see people in my country think that it is a bit weird that a girl is playing soccer (like that it is not something a girl is supposed to do). Thats probably a big factor why many women dont play soccer in those countries. As more players = better national team I think that means that the amount of presence of this cultural kind of factor can definitely make the strength of the team.

Now this is pretty normal (also in men sports) but I feel like the current vision on women playing soccer is rapidly changing so this makes these differences between countries bigger. I hope you can get what I am trying to say btw because I feel like i havent explained it that well here XD
No, I understand.  I think people still generally frown upon women doing well in things that are typically male-dominated.  Take college for example.  There are more women now (at least in the US) successfully completing college than men and men don't know how to handle that.  There are more and more women taking leadership roles in the world and I think that CAN be a good thing.

I really think Bart is short-sighted here as women contribute far more to society than men do where it is allowed.  Though speed and physically women may generally be inferior to men, that's the beauty of the game.  Skills can make up for speed and size in soccer.  I would be willing to bet that the USWNT could beat any team FIFA ranked 15 or lower and give the top 10 a good run for their money.  No one thought Billie Jean King could beat Bobby Riggs either...

I think Germany, Sweden and Brazil all take their women's national team's pretty seriously.
jtackel@hotmail.com

Bart332
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Bart332 »

And i wud bet any dutch amateur team who drinks beer whole week trains 2 times a week would demolish that team...

some matches can be worth looking at tho:

Sexy Women's Football (Soccer)
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

jerom got it right: they dominate not because they are so amazing, but because women soccer is so poorly developed in prett ymuch any country in the world, so it's esasy to dominate. if  every country would be on equal footings(or let' say, the skill distributing same as the men soccer) you wouldn't have one team win so much, it would be more likely the top 10 teams wining all thet ime, witih some upsets her and there.

comparing both to each other, arguing which one is more succesful, is a dumb idea.
look at men soccer, 20-30 years ago if England would play against a lesser euroepan country, they would win 90% of the time. and nowadays???? all the countries improved witih better infrastructure and it is very hard now to guess the correct winner.
soccer: think again, our 17 year old germany A-Team(who aren't even professionals) beat the 1st classs german woman team. no way in hell can a women team beat the top 10 male team lol
Last edited by Aaryn_GenD on Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bart332
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Bart332 »

but probably for US people any kind of football seems "high" level