I do...

You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

LaZy
Honorary Officer

I do...

Post by LaZy »

Well I have 2 start by wishing all my British friends a most sincere Congratulations on this most important day in what can only be considered as the continuation of tradition. Naturally Im talking about, as one journalist put it, "...the media event of the decade...", Kate answering "I do".

One news station said that more inhabitants of planet earth will be watching this special occasion than the opening ceremony of the Olympic games. Every1 has some kind of interest, and thus opinion, on the matter. Some wonder on her dress (will it stay traditional, or will it rupture with the "old ways"), some wonder If she will "...love and obey...", some even go out of their way 2 go online and bet on their mystery honeymoon location.

As a non brit, and Catholic, I must admit that I find it strange and at the same time comprehensive that the wedding is completely overshadowing John Paul II canonization. In fact it is making (IMHO) every1 4get their daily financial problems, even if it is for just 1 day, and that, my friends, is a GOOD thing. So again I shout CONGRATS 2 both Kate and her Willy. Congrats people of Britannia.

out
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: I do...

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Rule Britannia!

[youtube][/youtube]

jk, was just noting that its friday, surely among the best days of the week :D
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

I think its a wonderful thing to have a Royal family with so much tradition and history continuing forward. Its great for Britain to be the focus of the world for something that is good and can be celebrated by everyone. People taking pride in their country on such an event is also a nice thing to see. It also shows that our financial situation is stable enough for us all to take a day off and celebrate.

I love the military tradition that comes with such an event, seeing the Life Guards ride as they would have centuries before, as well as the Foot Guards and the military marching bands.

A day for sure to be proud to be British.
etrips888
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by etrips888 »

Ah the Royal Wedding..
The girlfriend and roommate are really into. Currently have both tuners on the DVR recording two different broadcasts of the wedding...Just in case one is better than the other..

Personally, not really following it
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

Well I have 2 admit the following:

a) I watched the WHOLE thing.I really enjoyed it. The wedding ceremony was unique and indeed fary tale. SHE looked amazing and the entire environment was most OP

b) as some may know, I have no British blood in me, but have a PURE British education, hence, my rather above par language skill. If there is 1 thing, in general, that I appreciate and strive 4 is TRADITION. As adder stated above, this ceremony is, in fact, a wonderful continuation of just that; tradition. This royal family is a over a milenea old. Yes that's right, its over a thousand years old. To keep that up is indeed a milestone by itself.

c)Residing in Portugal, and thus a few miles from Buckingham, I really appreciate and enjoy the way the "ex-pats" with which I work with, actively participated in this very special day. Both nurses in the clinic I work in, wore a tiara; 1 brought her home TV, and both planted countless union jacks in the waiting room. It truly looked as out of place as it did awesome!

d) seeing the hundreds of thousands of people that traveled unimaginable distances, stood for countless hours, 2 be awarded with a split second sight of the newly weds is truly mind boggling. Its 1 HUGE fricking party. And its great bcos its given the "common folk", like u and I, the opportunity of setting aside our daily difficulties.

e) wonderful that even 13 years later the name/word DIANA (goddess of the moon, and goddess of the hunt) has been spoken and heard every other minute. As a true romanticist I can only say "Thank you".

f) it takes a lot of very special people 2 behave in the gracious manner that they did 2 NOT cause any problems or disturbances. People from literally ALL OVER the world traveled and assisted this ceremony. NOT a single abnormal situation was reported.

Again, congrats 2 the newly weds, congrats 2 the British, congrats 2 us all!

out
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

As far as the Royal Wedding, I watched about 10 minutes of it. But it was long enough to see Princess Beatrice and her reindeer antler hat.

[quote=""LaZy""]
As a non brit, and Catholic, I must admit that I find it strange and at the same time comprehensive that the wedding is completely overshadowing John Paul II canonization.
out[/quote]

It's not a canonization this weekend, it's beatification...the step before canonization. (Not that it's any less important.) He will now be called Blessed John Paul II. I find it intersing that it happens to fall on Divne Mercy Sunday.
wicked_assassin
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by wicked_assassin »

I don't really get it why people actually care. I'm amazed how cnn was obsessed with the whole wedding for several weeks. It's just a wedding of one of the many monarchs. For most of us kate isn't going to be our queen.
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

Yeah im also not interested at all.
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.
Roger_The_Rogue
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by Roger_The_Rogue »

What wedding? :P

JK. By the way I've read the papers that Mr Bean has attended the wedding. Seems that he couldn't get past the security as the wedding went without any problems. ^^
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

Henrique -

You truly are the brother I never had. I swear it.

I watched as much of it as I could before that stupid thing called work came calling. I love how "normal" they seem to be and live their life together. I think that what the world really needs to get from this is that it is OK to show genuine affection for someone and that Love conquers all.

The parts I saw (and I'm watching the rest later tonight with the misses) were truly powerful. I loved the military part, the thousands of people, the order, and I loved the history of it. We may not see something like this for 20-30-40 years. It's a good moment in history where people should remember where they were for the GOOD reasons. We as a people on this round thing that circles the planet have far too few of those moments.

I echo the congratulations to all.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

well said soccer.
wicked_assassin
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by wicked_assassin »

Whant to transform the us in a monarch soccer, then you can have your own roayal weddings :D.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

[quote=""wicked_assassin""]Whant to transform the us in a monarch soccer, then you can have your own roayal weddings :D.[/quote]It was a very cool show indeed :)
Moose_
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Moose_ »

I'm happy for them and all that but I really had no interest in watching the wedding. Everyone got a day off work too, but since I don't have a job anyway it didn't really help me :p Also I have exams to revise for and the library closed early so I couldn't get any work done.