Pesky google ads

You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

LaZy
Honorary Officer

Pesky google ads

Post by LaZy »

Ive been watching A LOT of SC2 streams on the teamliquid website. I use, and have been using, Firefox for quite some time. One thing that has kept me quite aggravated throughout my "SC2 TV sessions" are those pesky Google Ads. They can be plain annoying, or even cut out essential gaming experience ( eg prevent u from seeing 6 o Clock bases etc).

I used this.

Very simple and actually works. Im sure most of u already know/ have this, or even have something a lot more elaborate, but for those that didnt ( like me) it worked a charm and allows me 2 watch some very entertaining SC2 matchups.

out
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Pesky google ads

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

i've been using adblock plus for 5 years now^^ god himself made that imo^^

also use noscript, ghostery and betterprivacy to clear those damn flash cookies and DOM storage objects.

sadly, firefox doesn't make any money, they are dependent on google
HeJurmhoanni
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by HeJurmhoanni »

imo keep the adblockers off so sc2 gets more money. if nobody watches the ads noone will pay the stream to show their ads.
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

^^ well the websites still get their hits and the streams still get their viewer numbers, so the people investing into ads still have that motivation bcos not every1 uses an adblocker

On paper (in theory) I actually agree with u Hej). We all hate ads, but they do pay the bills. Its just that most of the ads that pop up actually prevent me from watching essential game info. If it popped up in an area that doesnt influence my entertaining quality, then I wonder mind 2 much

out
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

I also use Adblock Plus since years.
Before this CMS the clan had a free forum from a forum hoster and when u hit the site always a big flash ad appeared which blocked half the view on the forum. When i hit the site the first time i thought: What amateurs run this site? :D Without adblocker that forum was a pain. ;)

On another note concerning the ads and paying: U get money by impressions but that is not much compared to the pay-per-click money. So if u want to do those streams a favor u have to click on the Ads what i usually don't do. So it doesn't really matter in the end that i block them.
And those streams already earn more money in a different way. On many stream sites the streamer can decide when to run a commercial like on justin.tv or ow3ned. So the streaming site and the streamer gets some money.
Though not all spectators will see the commercial because usually they are local commercials to one country. Justin.tv is US-based and usually only american people see the commercials there.
U can also see this at TSL3. Before the game u have a short pause where u can listen to SC2 music. In the US u see a commercial then

UGC, MLG, Birmingham gadget LAN have also commercials between the matches and that will be the future like it is on usual TV
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

[quote=""Comadevil""]I also use Adblock Plus since years.
Before this CMS the clan had a free forum from a forum hoster and when u hit the site always a big flash ad appeared which blocked half the view on the forum. When i hit the site the first time i thought: What amateurs run this site? :D Without adblocker that forum was a pain. ;)

On another note concerning the ads and paying: U get money by impressions but that is not much compared to the pay-per-click money. So if u want to do those streams a favor u have to click on the Ads what i usually don't do. So it doesn't really matter in the end that i block them.
And those streams already earn more money in a different way. On many stream sites the streamer can decide when to run a commercial like on justin.tv or ow3ned. So the streaming site and the streamer gets some money.
Though not all spectators will see the commercial because usually they are local commercials to one country. Justin.tv is US-based and usually only american people see the commercials there.
U can also see this at TSL3. Before the game u have a short pause where u can listen to SC2 music. In the US u see a commercial then

UGC, MLG, Birmingham gadget LAN have also commercials between the matches and that will be the future like it is on usual TV[/quote]

this is true, i know idra writes /commercial between breaks
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

Wow this is pretty cool imo, never heard of a thing like that :D

I actually know the commercy video's which you have to watch first to watch a HD/Huskystarcraft video by heard :P
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

In Comadevil we trust, that's my motto.