First impressions/questions of a newbie in the clan

You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

Rudy_AU
Conscript
Conscript

First impressions/questions of a newbie in the clan

Post by Rudy_AU »

I just had my first clan game 4vs4 this morning. I was exactly 10 seconds a member when I got my first invitation to join a game. Here some impressions from a newbie in the clan.

Until lately I always played against the same bunch of friends and we sort of ignored the rough real ESO world out there and had our own little thing going. A few weeks ago I decided to go out there to see what else this game can offer me. So I joined your clan this morning and here my first impression of you guys:

1.) Yeps, my first 4vs4 and me in the middle of higher ranking players. My neurons constantly overloaded, trying to get my eco going, my fingers always 2 steps behind my brain. Of course no time to even read the chat messages; at least the flairs have some delay so I managed to see them. So how on earth are you guys doing this? Having a working eco, pushing out military units and even have time to CHAT?

Is your girl friend sitting on your lap and supporting you as a secretary (might also be contra productive depending on the girl friend!)
- or-
Have you got a quad CPU attached to your brains?
- or -
else (that’s the part where I have to know my hot keys and so on I guess)

After this sort of lengthy intro here my noob’s questions (don’t laugh):

Are there any guidelines on how to behave in a 2vs2 / 3vs3 / 4vs4 game? I figured out there is a team leader - correct? What are the general strategies and how do I have to react in certain situations. Would be nice to get some info to kick start me on this type of games.

Thanks
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: First impressions/questions of a newbie in the clan

Post by KingKaramazov »

In a team game, especially larger ones, your best bet is to focus on keeping up constant villager production and getting your economy going while at the same time producing one particular type of unit which complements your allies' choice of units.

Ask your teammates which unit they would like you to make. Besides that, make sure to build a barracks or whichever unit-producing structure you're using with your allies in your "forward base." Your allies will most likely signal a spot on the map and say "fb here" or what have you, meaning that is where the forward base will be.

Overall, just listen to your teammates, do your best to fill whatever role is yours to fill, and have fun. ;)
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

Yeah, don't get so worked up about it. I personally can't play team worth crap, and I don't mind. I just follow the lead of my teammates and we lose slightly less miserably that way! :)

If you're looking for tips to improve your game, I'd be glad to help.
Groovy.
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

That as a fun game, you guys really slaughtered us with CHAOS using his Sioux cav for big raids, Adder flying in and out with his Opri.... we were done!

A few things I would mention about team games:

1. The initial question asked is "rush?" If everyone says "yeah, ok" then the next question will be "units?". Depending on what civs your up against and what civs your playing with, you will normaly only need to make one unit for the rush.

There isn't always a team leader as such, but normaly one will kind of take the lead and make the suggestions.

Always keep vills queued at your TC, your eco is really important in team games. Only age up when you can afford to do so without sacrificing military production. One of the main points of aging up is to upgrade your units so that they are better than your opponents, so do so as soon as you age.

The more team games you play, the more you will get use to playing your units as part of a bigger army.

The most important thing though is that you enjoy it! I'm pretty sure I lose more internal team games than I win, but they are always fun!

:)
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

Esp for villager production put ur tcs in one control group, so u don't have to jump to the tc for villager production
Roger_The_Rogue
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by Roger_The_Rogue »

LOL. Rudy, that is excatly how I felt at the beginning when I joined the clan. Back then I was thinking, "How the hell do they do that?" Now I am used to chatting (but at slow rate :roll: ). The most important thing is to keep the econ going (esp after being rushed/raided) so that you will not be out of the game. If you lose your TC, move all of your village behind your ally's (esp the highest ranked one :D ) base and build new base there under his protection. In this way you'll be still involved. The only way to lose is all the team members being out of the game. :D

Keep going and most importantly have lots of fun. ;)
Rudy_AU
Conscript
Conscript

Post by Rudy_AU »

Thanks for your help. I get the impression that fun is the No.1 issue and I like that. Good to be a part of this clan!
djdan
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: SpanktheMonkey

Post by djdan »

Good to have ya here buddy, yeah you guys totally creamed us, its mainly the fact of gettin used to the game, once you get used to the flow of the team games then it allows you to adapt, like begnning to chat whilst play, dont worry about typing errors either im forever doing them, but correcting yourself wastes time, which i still do :P

But most of all just enjoy the game, I don't think I'm the only one here when I say this but if it wasn't for N30 I would've lost interest in the game LONG ago!
From the OP maker of the OP Sigs, Cleeduz brings maybe some of his best work yet!
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

Dan, those are not typing errors.... you just can't spell........ ;)
emperoral
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by emperoral »

Well glad you enjoyed was a lark that game even before hand with everyone wanting to play, was a nightmare been the host to that one. Tips I would say if play your normal game and be a sheep and follow the rest. Ok ok I know that this means the next time I am online all the whispers will be BAA.
lordandcount
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by lordandcount »

Mine gramer be badder then dans tieping :P
NEO_CrAz3n wrote: L&C is sorta the N3O police.
I'm the most annoying officer
emperoral
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by emperoral »

Nah uw grammer is veel beter dan dans eerlijk typend.
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

^^^^BAAAAA!

That was a fun game to play and you played well above your current PR. I find in team games that the critical thing is to make sure everyone on your team knows what each other is planning to do and get the team working together. If no-one is prepared to suggest a plan at the beginning then do so yourself. Everyone working together on a terrible plan is better than everyone trying to fight separately and not knowing what each other is planning.

As for the typing whilst playing you will be able to do it with a bit of practice! Even know whilst I'm typing away I often make mistakes and forget to do something in game, like building my BH early in that game, but its just more fun to have a banter going than pull off the perfect BO.
djdan
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: SpanktheMonkey

Post by djdan »

Don't forget to age Chris ;) you'd think a captain would remember to age to age 2 when he has 800 food LOL.
From the OP maker of the OP Sigs, Cleeduz brings maybe some of his best work yet!
Cyclohexane
Honorary Officer

Post by Cyclohexane »

Welcome to the clan. Do not forget that a lot of us guys use Skype, Yahoo, and Team Speak here.

Feel free to install one and talk, not type. You can learn so much more by talking and perform so much better in a team game with open communication. You will need a headset with a mic, but it makes team games very fun.

We have our own clan sever for team speak and it works very well. Take a look in the members only section for information (links are stickied).

Also,
Invite your friends to join in the Join N3O section. If they are mature gamers, they will be welcome regardless of skill level.
Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell out of the way!

QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE & AOE3 TWC TAD UNIT COMPARISON:
AOE3 TWC TAD Quick Reference & AOE3 TWC TAD UNIT COMPARISON