Old Games Can be Fun!

You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Old Games Can be Fun!

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

Hi guys! I've been working nonstop the last couple weeks. Life is good; it's just hectic. I got a cool new independent consulting job that pays pretty well. But the tradeoff is being "on-call" all the time and losing my weekends :neutral:

Anyway, a couple days ago I managed to get down to my storage locker in Brooklyn and uncovered a few games from ancient history, like Return to Castle Wolfenstein (2001) and the original Call of Duty (2003). Nostalgia came over me and I brought them home. I installed them later that night and WOW! All I can say is that old games can be really fun! Graphics and modern amenities aren't always the most important things in a game. Sometimes pure fun and simple playability are more important. I couldn't believe how well COD 1 holds up to ALL FPS today. In fact, COD 1 is MUCH HARDER TO PLAY than the new ones! Maybe that's why they seem so easy to me; I'm an old-game veteran ::/

Having said that, I didn't play AOE until AOE3. I'm sure there are a lot of you out there who played AOE 1 and AOE 2. You must all have fond memories of those games. And I'll bet they still hold up well today, just like other classic game ancestors. Speaking of that, AOE3 is really a classic already. It's five years old and we're still playing it full guns. Gotta love the sense of continuity in that!

I also noticed that SC2 is coming out soon. As I said, I'd never been an RTS player until this game. I also read that most RTS experts think that AOE3 is "easy" compared to SC2, and that the skill level in AOE3 is "low" by RTS gaming standards.

In view of the fact that I am a total RTS noob and my "low" RTS skills would be doubly low in SC2, I'm going to pass. I will stick with AOE for my RTS cravings. Plus, as far as I know, there are no Germans in SC2 8)

In case you haven't noticed, a game has to have Germans in it for me to really love it :D
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: Old Games Can be Fun!

Post by RascalJones »

Graphics and modern amenities aren't always the most important things in a game. Sometimes pure fun and simple playability are more important.
Thus the longevity of classics like Pac-Man, Galaga, Asteroids, Donkey Kong, etc... Simple concepts and controls, yet challenging gameplay.

Personally, the Madden football games used to be a whole lot more fun to play when the controls were simpler. Now that you have so many buttons and can individually control the left arm vs the right arm (exaggeration...for now), the game is so much more difficult to "pick up and play". I love games that have like 4 controls/buttons, yet the difficulty is in the execution, not the complexity of controls.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

[quote=""RascalJones""]

Thus the longevity of classics like Pac-Man, Galaga, Asteroids, Donkey Kong, etc... Simple concepts and controls, yet challenging gameplay.
[/quote]

Right Rascel. Just bought a Competition Pro Joystick with C64 classics as present for my brother at his 40th birthday
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

Wolfenstien... wow... you just brought me back to an era of my life that I never thought I would ever remember! I played that game in a dark basement for countless hours.
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

Agreed with everything you said.

[quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""]
I also noticed that SC2 is coming out soon. As I said, I'd never been an RTS player until this game. I also read that most RTS experts think that AOE3 is "easy" compared to SC2, and that the skill level in AOE3 is "low" by RTS gaming standards.[/quote]

In my opinion, any game that's purely people going against each other is no more difficult than any other - no matter how simple or complex the game is, it's only as difficult as your opponent. I think the reason those people think AOEIII is "easier" than starcraft is because AOEIII has a much smaller community, while Starcraft is dominated by huge numbers of Koreans who literally think of Starcraft as a way of life.

Just watch

This guy does 500 actions per minute, while apparently Naturephoenix did like 200. This guy trains for the game fourteen hours every single day.
Groovy.
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

[quote=""36drew""]Wolfenstien... wow... you just brought me back to an era of my life that I never thought I would ever remember! I played that game in a dark basement for countless hours.[/quote]

Haha, it is such an AWESOME game, even to this day. Just last night there were still 46 people playing the same 24/7 Beach server I used to play waaaaayy back in '01-'02. Gotta love the nostalgia from that... plus hearing "Hilfe, Medic!!!" over and over again :twisted:
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

ah, good old days
some of my favorite oldies:
-Mobile Forces, best FPS before the COD days
-COD1
-Budokan, god i played that one better than anybody else
-i forgot the name, but it was a tank game with some great gameplay, where u had to switch the tank's power between defense, attack and speed all the time.
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

I have played aoe2 since I was 8 i think and until aoe3 came out. I totally sucked at it and was just spamming all sorts of cheats, still pretty amazing for someone who was 8 years old ;) .
Since than aoe has been my favourite game.
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

i also played rtcw when it was out (eve before then) in 2001. my friend got a super good computer from his father who was working and living in taiwan, but he wasn't allowed to use it (strict parents) so he gave the computer + all the games to me for months and i played like a mad man for weeks in the holidays :-P the weapon you get before the last boss enemy looked like a torchlight which was orignnally a bazooka
i also played aoe2 when it was new and when the expansion the conquerors was new.
i also played sc1 in a network café in the year 2000 or 1999 with my friend, costed like 5 mark per hour or so. both of us got some older guys helping us out(one for each person) and played each other, the ghosts were very strong :-P
ckei
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by ckei »

started out with aoe demo from the windows 98´ iirc after that Ive been hooked to aoe
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

[quote=""ckei""]started out with aoe demo from the windows 98´ iirc after that Ive been hooked to aoe[/quote]

same as me!!!!
when i read age of empires i knew it was a computer game. i liked the houses and barracks and that you could move units wherever you want