World Cup Discussion

You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: World Cup Discussion

Post by RascalJones »

And everyone still knows what it means when we Americans say "soccer".
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

[quote=""Comadevil""]Confusion?? U must be kidding. Never got it wrong. U always know by context what kind of football is meant[/quote]

when i went to australia and i said "let's play football" ppl assume i mean their game whereas i meant mine. confusion right there even though they should know Europe="Fußball" :-P

since then i always distinguish football and soccer like this.
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

[quote=""Aaryn_GenD""]stil it's better to say soccer to avoid confusion. when i say soccer everybody knows what i mean. football could be ambigious and in fact it is ;-)[/quote]

aaryn, do you know what the initials of FIFA are? I rest my case.
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

[quote=""RascalJones""]And everyone still knows what it means when we Americans say "soccer".[/quote]

They may know what you mean, but you are all still wrong.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

Well this is quite clear since in Australia Australian football is one of the most poular so they call Australian Football Football. Like Americans call American football Football which is a different game to Australian football. But this is local to this countries. Almost everywhere else our kind of football is called football
If u are in the different countries u have to know the meaning of football.
But if u are in a international forum people know the meaning by context.
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

[quote=""Aaryn_GenD""]it is called soccer actually, football is the rugby-type game. when i was in australia tehy told me this :-)

who cares slovakia will lose the next game anyway^^ against the netherlands[/quote]

And again, it is called football actually, the rugby-type game is...er... rugby, unless you are refering to Australian Rules Football, which is refered to as "Australian Rules" by anyone NOT in Australia so as to distiguish it from the original sport of football (yes, the one with the round ball).

As for Slovakia losing the next game? Quite possibly, but at least Italy are out.
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

And since Slovakia will b facing the Netherlands, guess what? Im really rooting 4 Slovakia now.

Aaryn give it a rest dude. After all the thread is the football world cup and not the soccer world crap nor Aussie Cup of kangaroos.

We all know that football is a game where 11 play vs 11 and that the Germans win in the end. The only difference in this delightful new modern age is that Portugal will now replace the Germans and get those much desired stars on their respectful equipment.

muhahahahahaha

out

ps from now on the S25 meetings held in the same years that also hold the football world cup, the dates need 2 match for both so that some serious in ya face ***** can b provided :p

that is all
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""Aaryn_GenD""]you guys are crazy. how could a person in their right state of mind be for slovakia? and the "offside goal" wasn't really one[/quote]

We're not so much "for" Slovakia as we are AGAINST the flopping pre-madonna suckers from the boot. Was nice to see them get the boot!
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
etrips888
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by etrips888 »

[quote=""Soccerman771""][quote=""Aaryn_GenD""]you guys are crazy. how could a person in their right state of mind be for slovakia? and the "offside goal" wasn't really one[/quote]

We're not so much "for" Slovakia as we are AGAINST the flopping pre-madonna suckers from the boot. Was nice to see them get the boot![/quote]

agreed!
Now no france or Italy..should be interesting...
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

I hereby '+1' all of Strokey's posts :)
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

[quote=""LaZy""]
We all know that football is a game where 11 play vs 11 and that the Germans win in the end. The only difference in this delightful new modern age is that Portugal will now replace the Germans and get those much desired stars on their respectful equipment.[/quote]

i think germany got a better shot at making it to the final than portugal :-P
though portugal is strong

last comment on the football vs soccer thing: technically you guys are right, i just prefer saying "soccer" to the one and football" to the other so ppl don't mix it up
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

[quote=""Aaryn_GenD""]

i think germany got a better shot at making it to the final than portugal :-P
though portugal is strong
[/quote]

This is a tough one. The German team is a pretty fresh and "new look" team, and they have not really shown themselves yet. I'm still trying to work out how good they really are. I guess sunday will reveal all...
luukje
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by luukje »

Holland all the way. The world cup has brought us vuvuzela's and bavaria babes. I know what i'll be taking home!
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

I thought that the german performance vs ghana was a little weak :\ If it weren't for Ozil's skills it would have been 0-0
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

Özil is overrated. From the players they have England is stronger and anything but an english win would be an upset, imo. But, on a different note, not always the better team will advance. We'll see.
Last edited by huGGy on Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.