A very interesting read

You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: A very interesting read

Post by IndyBrit »

Cleeduz, if you are like me, WoW is very enjoyable early. You will have fun for a few months, off and on, but eventually the repetitive nature of the game becomes apparent, and then impossible to ignore.

You will spend hours updating your weapon suffix, just so you can fight a monster with an updated prefix.
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

Yeah hitting your first lvl 80 takes a long time and can get very repetitive. For me trying to match my RL buddy in lvling helped me maintain interest to about lvl 55 without getting bored, by that time though my interest fell a bit but I found Outland refreshed my interest as did WotLK expansion. When you finally hit 80 it all starts again but is much more fun as you can get into raiding guilds and develop your character to their max potential. But in the end as with every game you get bored and move on.
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

Yeah, so far it is entertaining, and that is all I ask for really.

I can see where it would get repetitive and boring, but right now I am still learning the different races and classes, which I honestly find kind of fascinating. I don't belong to a guild or socialize with anyone really, I'm a lone drifter so far. lol

The main thing (for me) is that it is not as intense as AOE, and I can play more casually, when time allows.
"Nature doesn't like Agra forts." - Sporting Lisbon

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. - Ben Franklin
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

I played a Tauren Druid up to level 80. Got bored with him. Switched to one of the alts I had and leveled a Blood Elf Hunter to level 66. My Orc Death Knight (my favorite toon) was at level 74 and the best geared for his level of any of my toons. The rest of my toons were in the mid to late 20's.

Never played Allliance higher than level 10. Didn't like it as much. I always hated Stormwind.
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

I have an obsessive personality so when I get hooked on a game, especially WoW (virtual crack...?) I tend to play it way more than I should, until I get burned out.

Trust me guys, once you hit 80 and start raiding, you really can't accomplish anything unless you devote about 10-20 scheduled hours per week for just raiding.

Honestly, people don't play it for fun. It's essentially a second job, but people are so addicted to it they just can't stop. There's always something else to do, some boss you haven't killed yet, some achievement you have yet to get.
Groovy.
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

I guess I'm lucky that I can't get that involved in it.

So far my "typical" WoW schedule goes something like this.

1. Log On
2. Do a quick quest or 2
***log-off to break up a fight between kids***
3. Log On
4. Turn in quest, sell junk to vendors
***log-off because the wife wants to discuss the kids fighting***
5. Log On
6. Grind a bit, while on the way to next quest
***log off, to put the kids in bed***
7. Log on and "maybe" get an hour (sometimes 2) to play

So, I don't think I'll be able to be that hard-core even if I wanted to.... ^^ This schedule is easier to maintain on WoW than AOE, due to the constant pausing.... even the hour or two is often broken up by phone calls, or the wife wanting me to do something... :P

Characters so far:
NE Hunter (lvl 15)
Orc Hunter (lvl 17)
Tauren Druid (lvl 6) ;) *started last night

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. - Ben Franklin
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Really enjoyed 2v2 arenas me as lvl 80 unholy/frost dk and my rl mate a shaman healer. Also did some arenas me as mage him as rogue. Mage and dk were quite fun for pvp.

I never understood the obsession with spamming the same combo over and over again to kill a computer controlled "monster". Battlegrounds, arenas and hell, even duels were waaay more fun. Of course, it did grow boring. ESPECIALLY BECAUSE I NEEDED TO RAID TO GET PVP GEAR FOR ARENAS.

And it eventually grew boring because I needed to spend hours levelling just to get to play a different class in pvp (hence that I got the death knight as soon as I heard it started from lvl 55).

Aoe = more fun in less time, and a much better community :)
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

btw, Cleeduz, I see you have leatherworking as a skill. if you want to make some gold, switch to mining and skinning and sell EVERYTHING on the auction house. fastest way to get gold for a casual player.
gendarme
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by gendarme »

Skinning pwnz at low level but at higher it sucks. At least now - I sell heavy leather for the same price as knothhide leather; which is harder to get.
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

[quote=""RascalJones""]btw, Cleeduz, I see you have leatherworking as a skill. if you want to make some gold, switch to mining and skinning and sell EVERYTHING on the auction house. fastest way to get gold for a casual player.[/quote]

Leatherworking is no good? I thought that in combo with skinning was good, but mining is better?

Just hit lvl 10 today on the Tauren Druid, so far I think I like this toon better than the hunters, a little more diversity.....

Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

Just a word of advice from someone who made a lot of gold in that game.

Don't farm, do dailies, or try to make money from gathering professions. It's one of the slowest possible ways to make money. Instead, play the auction house and find ways to get rich quick - people are so lazy that you can easily find a niche in the economy to make a huge profit.

Use your professions for the combat bonuses at 400 skill, instead. Jewelcrafting, blacksmithing, enchanting, and leatherworking are all very solid professions.
Groovy.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Yeah, one of the reasons I stopped playing was how expensive it was to level jewelcrafting and blacksmithing! :p Levelling professions as a death knight was a pain.
blayzer13
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by blayzer13 »

I'm with nav on the economy thing, I made about 23k gold in 3 days using a single pattern with Tailoring.
I only play when RL friend's are on and with the minimum time I can spend now, and the enjoyment of leveling the game is still fun despite the significant amount of time I have invested into it.

bblayzerr - 80 blood elf lock - gorefiend
pattywack - 80 tauren druid - gorefiend
pessimistic - 80 undead warrior - gorefiend
phaith - 80 undead deathknight - gorefiend
also have a 68 mage, 60 hunter, 51 sham, 40 rogue, 30 priest and 30 pally

I quit raiding and switched to leveling toons when I could and over the course of nearly 4 years this is the point I am at. Yet I play maybe an hour a day if I'm lucky
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

Yeah I have made money reselling stuff from the auction house but I just cba with it. Atm I don't even find time to get my dailies done. I lvled mining and blacksmithing so all the potential gold I could have made from selling ores was wasted on my blacksmithing skill, a very expensive skill to lvl. I prefer raiding to lvling so I only have one character really. Raiding with a guild is great fun, especially if you are on skype or vent, though it all depends who you raid with. Hyper active kids and quick to stress raid leaders are not so fun. As a general rule anyone who says OMG or retard I tend to avoid...
froggyman
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by froggyman »

its pretty ironic how this topic started about how addictive WOW is to how to make lots of money on WOW and people levels and stats and stuff xD