The Pacific

You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: The Pacific

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

[quote=""luukje""]Ah I remember my grandma telling me stories about german soldiers living in their houses and being bombed with V1 and V2 rockets.
And my granddad had amazing stories about his father who went to clean up the trenches after the great war in 1919.

Lookin forward to these series.[/quote]

Interesting you mention the trench cleanup. A few months ago I saw a great documentary about an archaeology project that unearthed both German and British trenches in Flanders. It's incredible how many artifacts they found. They even found a mass grave, too. The poor guys didn't get their gas masks on in time; they were lying right next to their skeletons.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

Watched the 3rd episode of The Pacific last night. What an addictive show. No combat this time, just some R&R in Melbourne, Australia for the boys.

Still can't imagine what the entire experience was like.
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

funny u should mention this Rascal...i made sure Id record the 3rd show later 2night moments b4 u posted this :P

Ive been enjoying it immensly

out
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

saw eps 1 & 2, really good, close to Band of Brothers.

Those Japanese did a mad suicide rush in eps 2, bit crazy, while the marines were camping. Japan was better at booming :D
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
luukje
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by luukje »

[quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""]
Interesting you mention the trench cleanup. A few months ago I saw a great documentary about an archaeology project that unearthed both German and British trenches in Flanders. It's incredible how many artifacts they found. They even found a mass grave, too. The poor guys didn't get their gas masks on in time; they were lying right next to their skeletons.[/quote]

Well what I remember from his stories is that the battlefield was truly abonded and deserted after 4 years of fighting, it was a real no-mans land. Huge amounts of weapons were left behind all over the place. Not to mention bodies, makeshift massgraves and all the other things that came with WW1. Probably something like "the road" if you saw the movie.
They had to collect the weapons and turn them over to the french army, fill up trenches, collect bodies, etc. This was a really dangerous thing to do, so often they just put sand over it. They discoverd things like underground hospitals and HQ that collapsed and where hundreds of bodies were left to rot for years.
It was very dangerous because of the unstable ammo, the corrupt french army and a lot of looters (weapons were valuable even then). The french used solders from their african colonies in that war but when the fighting ended, the units were dissolved but these people had no means to get home. They often didnt even speak french. So they were just hanging around on the battlefield where they fought for years, with no place to go. They made up very dangerous gangs that robbed and murdered the cleaners.
A lot of the cleaners we're russians that fled from the sowjet revolution in 1917.
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

^Amazing stories there, luukje. WW1 is a huge interest of mine. I think it's the most pivotal event in the last 150 years.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

Wow, you don't hear much about that period in history and what happened after the Great War. You just assume that after a war things return to normal, the truth is a lot uglier. Very interesting.
joe4holly
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by joe4holly »

[quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""]^Amazing stories there, luukje. WW1 is a huge interest of mine. I think it's the most pivotal event in the last 150 years.[/quote]

I agree with you , a lot of new changes happend that changed alot like air bomming London , might not of worked that well but scared alot of people as the war was evrywere not just on the front line.

Link to part 3 is on the first page.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

part 3 was very average imho, hope the next will pack some more action instead of cheap love stories
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
joe4holly
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by joe4holly »

Part 4 is up on the first page .
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

Thanks 4 the links holly.

Ive been following this series with huge interest and must admit that, although necessary in order 2 make the characters grow amongst the viewers, that the last 2 episodes lacked what most want from this series, and that is nothing other than sheer violence mixed with the historic aspect. This whole Leckie goes 2 the holiday mental hospital bussiness is all very interesting and emotional but lacks the impact I was promised.

Lets hope that we get 2 c some serious war wounds and traumatic battles.

out

PS what was that whole "...ur not recrutes anymore. Ur Marines..." thing about when they were firing those short arty rounds?
joe4holly
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by joe4holly »

[quote=""LaZy""]
out

PS what was that whole "...ur not recrutes anymore. Ur Marines..." thing about when they were firing those short arty rounds?[/quote]

recrutes= mistakes can happen so killing your own team not a big deal.
marines= real soilders who dont make any mistakes.

That what I think it was about.
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""LaZy""]Thanks 4 the links holly.

Ive been following this series with huge interest and must admit that, although necessary in order 2 make the characters grow amongst the viewers, that the last 2 episodes lacked what most want from this series, and that is nothing other than sheer violence mixed with the historic aspect. This whole Leckie goes 2 the holiday mental hospital bussiness is all very interesting and emotional but lacks the impact I was promised.

Lets hope that we get 2 c some serious war wounds and traumatic battles.

out

PS what was that whole "...ur not recrutes anymore. Ur Marines..." thing about when they were firing those short arty rounds?[/quote]

There's a code among Marines to really be the best soldiers. Like holly said, recruits can screw stuff up, but Marines don't make mistakes. They are the perfect soldier. They are also supposed to be the best at fighting as a unit. There's also a Marine motto: "No better friend, no worse enemy."
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

Yeah yeah I understand all that, but what Im getting at was that that scene was, imho, unecessary, since it brought nothing 2 the episode as a whole. If it had happened on the field, which Im sure it did, several times even, that it would have gotten the point across better and more realistically.

out
etrips888
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by etrips888 »

Yeah I don't know the point of that scene, or that character (the friend from home). The only thing I can think of is that maybe he's going to come in later? It would seem a bit pointless to me to just have him there to show short glances at boot camp..