This is what I have been occupied with.

You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: This is what I have been occupied with.

Post by Soccerman771 »

I have two engineering degrees. I think Doctors have it worse tbh.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
wicked_assassin
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by wicked_assassin »

2 engineer degrees? how long did you study? 10 years?
Wetmelon
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Wetmelon »

Well, if you're good at math, by all means. Let me put it this way:

Every faculty at my school takes 5 credits per year (Very different system than US, don't try to compare them). You have to ask for special permission to take more than 5 credits. (Usually .5 or 1 credit more).

Engineers take 7.5 credits in their first and second years (Not sure about the higher years). And that's required :p However, they don't give you a lot of graded homework, you just have to show up on test day and get it right.

In Canada there's a lot of prestige associated with an Engineering degree. We are overseen by "Engineers Canada". At the end of our four year program, we receive a BESc (Bachelor's of Engineering Science) and receive a special "iron" ring that we wear to show that we're engineers. To be able to actually call yourself an Engineer in Canada, however, you have to have a degree as well as work (four?) years under the guidance of another "P. Eng." - Professional Engineer. After that, you can apply for your P. Eng, and it gets added on to the end of your name. (One of my relatives, for example: Dr. Paul Rochon BSc, PhD, PEng).

Anyway, that's more than you needed to know, but it's a very tight knit, rewarding program, and I love it :) There are several other engineers on in N3O (IndyBrit, for example) who would know more about the American system.

Do it :D
wicked_assassin
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by wicked_assassin »

from wikipedia ;)
Belgium

In Belgium, Civil Engineer (abbreviated Ir) (French: Ingénieur Civil, Dutch: Burgerlijk Ingenieur) is a legally protected title applicable to graduates of the five-year engineering course of one of the six universities and the Royal Military Academy. Their speciality can be all fields of engineering: civil, structural, electrical, mechanical, chemical. This use of the title may cause confusion to the English speaker as the Belgian "civil" engineer can have a speciality other than civil engineering. In fact, Belgians use the adjective "civil" as an opposition to military engineers. The belgian Civil Engineer studies are considered to be among the most difficult engineering studies in the world.

The formation of the civil engineer has a strong mathematical and scientific base and is more theoretical in approach than the practical oriented industrial engineer (ing.) educated in a four-year program at a polytechnic. Traditionally, students were required to pass an entrance exam on mathematics to start civil engineering studies. This exam was abolished in 2004 for the Flemish Community, but is still organised in the French Community.
So we got 2 types of ingineer studies. Civilian and industrial ingeneers. I'm going for industrial, but because i'm now doing a proffesional bachelor i'm obligated to do an extra year. And it's truelly a spartean year.... 8u30 to 18u evry day :cry: