Armed Protest

You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

etrips888
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: Armed Protest

Post by etrips888 »

The point I was trying to make is yes, those deaths could have been drug and gang related, but with the way the laws are setup in this country, there are a lot more guns on the streets then there need to be. I'm sure there are still areas in other developed countries that have gang and drug issues, but still don't have the number of shootings that we have here in the U.S.

But then again, we have some of the largest populated cities and such, so its hard to make a case either way..I just find that those type of statistics are scary and hard to ignore the type of violence that occurs in this country
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""jazz""]Also, on a bit of a site note, the united states has absolutely by far, bar none, the highest death rate due to firearms per capita.[/quote]

I'd love to see something backing up this claim.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
jazz
Conscript
Conscript

Post by jazz »

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=175376

The Coalition for Gun Control has the most recent statistics for Gun
rate Death available.

Country Gun Death Rate per 100,000

Japan 0.07
Singapore 0.24
Taiwan 0.27
Kuwait 0.37
England/ Wales 0.4
Scotland 0.49
Netherlands 0.55
Spain 0.74
Ireland 1.24
Germany 1.44
Italy 2.27
Sweden 2.27
Denmark 2.48
Israel 2.56
New Zealand 2.67
Australia 2.94
Belgium 3.32
Canada 3.95
Norway 4.23
Austria 4.48
Northern Ireland 4.72
France 5.48
Switzerland 6.2
Finland 6.65
USA 13.47

Source: W. Cukier, Firearms Regulation: Canada in the International
Context, Chronic Diseases in Canada, April, 1998 (statistics updated
to reflect most recent figures, January 2001)
http://www.guncontrol.ca/Content/International.html
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

lol @ Belgium being top 10, we never make top 10 at anything :p

Here in China its almost impossible to get a gun, even law enforcement rarely use em.
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

I guess that list doesn't include people in a certain part of the world that strap bombs to themselves and level marketplaces...

Wikipedia shows a much different side to things:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence

Do you think that maybe the "Coalition for Gun Control" could be a little biased one-way?

And here's a second source that backs the first (and both are independent).
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_m ... per-capita

The US is still top-10, but the 2.97% per 100000 deaths is much more realistic than the 13.47%

According to the CDC, these are the top-10 ways to die in the US (not the most popular - the most common :) )

Number of deaths for leading causes of death
Heart disease: 631,636
Cancer: 559,888
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 137,119
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 124,583
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 121,599
Diabetes: 72,449
Alzheimer's disease: 72,432
Influenza and Pneumonia: 56,326
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 45,344
Septicemia: 34,234
jtackel@hotmail.com

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

Following the statistics quoted, Jazz, the USA would have about 40,000 gun deaths annually (13.47 * 10 * 300 = 40,410) but the real number is about 30,000, so they are clearly using some "fuzzy math". Nevertheless, I won't dispute that in the developed world the USA gun death rate is the highest.

That is irrelevant though. We have added concealed carry laws (now in 38 states I think), and the areas of the country with the highest gun ownership rates have the lowest gun death rates. The residential gun ownership rates in our death zones (LA, DC, Chicago, etc.) are very low.

The fact remains that getting rid of guns (UK, Australia, for example) increases the power of the criminals and results in more violence, and opening up the populace to gun ownership (as seen in the county-by-county study by Dr. Lott) reduces violent crime.

The vast majority of homicides committed in this country are committed by felons having firearms. In other words, those guns are already banned by law. Until someone repeals physics, guns will be easy to obtain for those that want them and are willing to break the law.

The vast majority of falling deaths occur due to the effects of gravity. I'm interested in hearing some ideas around making gravity illegal, I think that may get these falling deaths turned around.
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

[quote=""I__CHAOS__I""]lol @ Belgium being top 10, we never make top 10 at anything :p

Here in China its almost impossible to get a gun, even law enforcement rarely use em.[/quote]

Can you at least get a Cho Ko Nu repeating crossbow or a flamethrowing dragon-shaped cart at least?

::/
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
blayzer13
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by blayzer13 »

An additional thing my dad sent me a couple weeks ago http://biggeekdaddy.com/miscvideos/TedNugent.html
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

[quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""][quote=""I__CHAOS__I""]lol @ Belgium being top 10, we never make top 10 at anything :p

Here in China its almost impossible to get a gun, even law enforcement rarely use em.[/quote]

Can you at least get a Cho Ko Nu repeating crossbow or a flamethrowing dragon-shaped cart at least?

::/[/quote]

yep, anything else is easy to find
I'll post a pic of me going beserk with my dragon-shaped flamethrower :twisted: FRY TOURISTS, FRY!
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Saint
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Saint »

[quote=""blayzer13""]An additional thing my dad sent me a couple weeks ago http://biggeekdaddy.com/miscvideos/TedNugent.html[/quote]

Nugent is a mental defective! Like some woman is going to pull a gun and a guy who's been in prison isn't able to take it from her and shoot her instead of beating her to death...shed prolly still be dead!

peace
aka~Rubber_Chuck
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""Saint""][quote=""blayzer13""]An additional thing my dad sent me a couple weeks ago http://biggeekdaddy.com/miscvideos/TedNugent.html[/quote]

Nugent is a mental defective! Like some woman is going to pull a gun and a guy who's been in prison isn't able to take it from her and shoot her instead of beating her to death...shed prolly still be dead!

peace[/quote]

This is Texas bro. I know women that can shoot better than men down here. :)
jtackel@hotmail.com

Saint
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Saint »

[quote=""Soccerman771""][quote=""Saint""][quote=""blayzer13""]An additional thing my dad sent me a couple weeks ago http://biggeekdaddy.com/miscvideos/TedNugent.html[/quote]

peace[/quote]

This is Texas bro. I know women that can shoot better than men down here. :)[/quote]

Granted
aka~Rubber_Chuck
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

Studies have shown that the use of a gun is the only effective means of resisting a crime for women. (I think quoted in Lott, but based on studies by Gary Kleck). In the face of a physical crime, the safest thing (in terms of whether she suffers injury or not) a woman can do is resist that crime with a firearm. The next safest thing she can do is nothing at all and suffer the whims of the criminal. Other means of resistance increase her chance of injury.
Saint
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Saint »

This is the sickest country on earth...It humiliates me to have to claim American citizenship!

Im taking out my own personal situation on these forums....

for that i sincerely apologies!

I always say and mean in the truest sence...Peace
aka~Rubber_Chuck
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Nobody needs to own anything bigger than a handgun, and nobody should have the "right" to. Except for hunting I guess.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey