You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

For the soccer fans... USA! USA!

Post by RascalJones »

U.S. pulls soccer shocker, dumps Spain 2-0

BLOEMFONTEIN, South Africa — Forward Jozy Altidore's strike in the 25th minute got the United States off to a good start against No. 1-ranked Spain in the semifinals of the Confederations Cup, and Nacogdoches native Clint Dempsey finished things off with a goal in the 73rd minute as the U.S. won 2-0 in one of the biggest upsets in soccer history.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6495623.html

Ending Spains 35-match ubeaten run. Denying them a spot in the Confederations Cup Final.

USA! USA!
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: For the soccer fans... USA! USA!

Post by KingKaramazov »

Yeah, that game was awesome. How many crosses did Spain make down the left side? Tim Howard had a great game.

The first goal was pretty fantastic and the second goal wasn't too bad either.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
Lost_my_hope
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Lost_my_hope »

wow, america beat spain? awesome! who could have thought that when they needed to beat egypt with 3 goals more ánd Brazil had to beat Italy with 3 goals or more? 21
Vivian Stanshall, about 3 o'clock in the morning, Oxfordshire, 1973... good night.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Amazing, that got me surprised as well! Well done ^^
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

Well, I was on vent yesterday afternoon giving regular updates (as Lazy can atest to) and I was very shocked, but also proud of our men's team.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
djdan
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: SpanktheMonkey

Post by djdan »

When I heard mymyself I was shocked!! I mean Spain are are bloody strong side whatever 11 they start with but they still started with their strongest truly hats off to the USA but I think Brazil will wipe the floor with SA and USA in the final now, hopefully not Id love to see another upset but I doubt there will be :-/
From the OP maker of the OP Sigs, Cleeduz brings maybe some of his best work yet!
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

[quote=""djdan""]When I heard mymyself I was shocked!! I mean Spain are are bloody strong side whatever 11 they start with but they still started with their strongest truly hats off to the USA but I think Brazil will wipe the floor with SA and USA in the final now, hopefully not Id love to see another upset but I doubt there will be :-/[/quote]

I doubt it too, but you can't count out this USA team, not after that game. I think they'll probably be exhausted and Brazil will probably have a much easier game against South Africa, but who knows - anything is possible, as Kevin Garnett likes to say.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

in todays soccer that is^^
it used to be different.. you could tell for 90% which team is going to win.. nowadays the team next door wins against top teams from time to times
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

very simple:

a) once the American public takes a "real" interest into football it will be televised. By real interest I mean marketed as much as the NFL, NBA etc

b) once that happens the money train will leave the station

c) once that happens every small town and city in the US will have football fields spawning like no 2morrow. A competetive league will finally arise.

d) once that happens and an entire decade passes a true football culture will have developed

e) once that happens the US will be a winning candidate in every event it participates in. 600 million diferent gene combinations = OP football skills!

my 2 euros

out

PS congrats 2 the US for beating our neighbours and putting them in their place :)
Lost_my_hope
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Lost_my_hope »

very interesting and imo true post lazy:D
Vivian Stanshall, about 3 o'clock in the morning, Oxfordshire, 1973... good night.
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

"c) once that happens every small town and city in the US will have football fields spawning like no 2morrow. A competetive league will finally arise."

Already happening, wherever there's an empty field around here. Baseball is fading somehow.
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

Yeah what Lazy said is true and I've already started to notice the US be mentioned more and more in international tournaments. But still the US has a lot of sports for those 600million genes to be spread around in, where as nations like Brazil eat, sleep and breath nothing but football. It all depends on how big football will become in the US and whether it will draw talent from the other sports played there.
ckei
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by ckei »

I was quite surprised too after all spain is #1 at the fifa ranking list. football is a wonderful sport in that way that almost anything can happend gg USA
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

We have has some very good success in the past:
The best:

The best played (the goal in the 28th minute on this one is just sweet:

For all you ports ;)

and the one that made me love the game:
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
emperoral
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by emperoral »

Great just as my life cannot get any worse the YANKS win at football. Well take my hat off you beating Spain who have won their last 15 games undefeated for 35 games. Sure the win was for some diplomatic reasons lol!