Childrens day

You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

LaZy
Honorary Officer

Childrens day

Post by LaZy »

Yay my son has his own special day (besides Bday and Xmas of course) and he doesnt even know it :P

He looked so cool this morning when mummy put on his white T-shirt that bore (sp?) his hand print on the back. All the kids at his creche are gonna wear their own shirts, which they made at the creche. Very cool stuff indeed.

What are ur kids up 2 2day? What will make their special day so special?

On a more serious note: are we, as a society, doing all we can with regards to protecting our youth? Here in Portugal we have a HUGE thing going on bcos some russian ex- working girl, alcoholic and drug addict abondened her 6month old daughter. That same kid was taken care of by a portuguese couple which were now (some years later) forced (by the courts) to give the little girl back 2 her mum, and is now in Mother Russia being beaten (recorded on TV) and doesnt speak a word of Russian.

These kinds of stories happen all over the world and it disgusts me how the whole biologic parent BS has more judicial strength than common sense and often neglects the childs wellfair.

Should this international day b just another day where we buy our kids yet another gift and play a little bit more with them than we usually do or is it a day for us ALL 2 reflect and try to achieve something that is basic to every animal in its kingdom: protecting and providing the wellbeing of our children

out

having recently become a parent myself, as most of u know, these situations have taken a diferent toll in my thoughts lately.
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: Childrens day

Post by deadhanddan »

i agree lazy

people are strange....

here in the states , stories of such things are all too common and equally as disgusting. a few examples would be the ''octo mom'' who has 8 kids - primarily for only the attention and the upcoming ''reality show'' that she will be parading her kids in. other similar cases are people who have their children purely for $$$ at the taxpayers expense ( more $$$ for more kids ) in some states here in america , adolescent abuse and neglect are actually like an epidemic : even more so in congested cities. the fundamental values that our grandparents and their parents instilled upon their children are dying virtues being killed off by many parents who are forced to leave their kids in the care of ''television babysitter'' and run down public schooling. i myself had my own shares of adolescent turmoils when i was younger but luckily i was able to overcome and become a better individual and human being, but the sad thing is i am of the lucky % who were able to do it. the day i have kids is when i'll be damned if they ever have to go thru what we both have described. sad to say but i don't ever see it getting any better , only worse with time :(
- Dan
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

I thought every day was kids day??

Anyway, I did not know about this international day until I read this post. Very cool idea though. My wife and I had a discussion about the innocence of children just yesterday (was regarding another discussion). Anyone that would harm a child out of neglect or abuse or anything else is inhumane. That doesn't mean that we spoil them, but love them and teach them how to be responsible.

My daughter and I have special days every day, but I may do something different today. I'll have to think about it as I'm working.

and yes, lazy becoming a parent makes you appreciate many things and changes many views.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
GeneralMichael
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: MDSamurai12

Post by GeneralMichael »

I also never have heard of this kids day before. Though it does sound like a good idea

[quote=""deadhanddan""]
a few examples would be the ''octo mom'' who has 8 kids - primarily for only the attention and the upcoming ''reality show'' that she will be parading her kids in.[/quote]

Didn't she have several kids before then she took a bunch of pills to help her have kids and had 8? Though I remember her mom saying that she had too many kids

Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

How come you guys never heard of children's day, I have exploited it since I was 6 years old (when I understood that you could actually get stuff from Children's Day)! Ofc that at 15 I stopped getting presents since you have a reputation to preserve :p

About the russian girl, the only thing that I have against it is the FLOOD of news' channels. I mean, the situation at North Korea is pretty difficult atm and it didn't even show up in the news, only got like 5 mins when the news program was in the end.
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

Wow, I have to point Brandy to this post because she asked me about kids day and I didn't think there was one.

Today, the big three are still in school (Brandy, Josh, Jessi) because of snow days, otherwise they would have been out already for the summer. The little three (Bekki, Mercedes, Rita) are home with Mommy (Barb) stressing her out but having a great time I'm sure. :D

I might have to try to sign off early to go see the munchkins this afternoon. It will probably surprise them since I was otherwise going to work late today. If that surprise is a pleasant one, well, hmm.

To your greater point, I guess I'm an optimist as I think we are doing a better job protecting our kids than we used to. There is certainly still room for improvement I suppose. However, more of them make it to adulthood than used to. I'm more concerned that we're leaving them with a mess once they get there, as there will be so many of us and so few of them, and we have any number of structures in place that say they are going to take care of us when we are old.
Palehorse
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Palehorse »

What are ur kids up 2 2day?
11 year old is camping with a friends family. 13 year old daughter had here piano recital yesterday, so is taking it easy this morning. 9 year old is probably digging up the back yard looking for rocks, bones, or ?

No such Holiday observed at this residence :-P
are we, as a society, doing all we can with regards to protecting our youth?
I think our 'inability' to and requirement for multi-tasking, has too often left my kids on their own, entertained by fancy toys or TV, but isolated from us (their parents) and the natural world. And that's make my kids the lucky ones 8O

The pendulum swings back and forth. I am adopted. I have no idea of the who, what, where, when or why of my existence.
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

[quote=""LaZy""]Yay my son has his own special day (besides Bday and Xmas of course) and he doesnt even know it :P

He looked so cool this morning when mummy put on his white T-shirt that bore (sp?) his hand print on the back. All the kids at his creche are gonna wear their own shirts, which they made at the creche. Very cool stuff indeed.

What are ur kids up 2 2day? What will make their special day so special?

On a more serious note: are we, as a society, doing all we can with regards to protecting our youth? Here in Portugal we have a HUGE thing going on bcos some russian ex- working girl, alcoholic and drug addict abondened her 6month old daughter. That same kid was taken care of by a portuguese couple which were now (some years later) forced (by the courts) to give the little girl back 2 her mum, and is now in Mother Russia being beaten (recorded on TV) and doesnt speak a word of Russian.

These kinds of stories happen all over the world and it disgusts me how the whole biologic parent BS has more judicial strength than common sense and often neglects the childs wellfair.

Should this international day b just another day where we buy our kids yet another gift and play a little bit more with them than we usually do or is it a day for us ALL 2 reflect and try to achieve something that is basic to every animal in its kingdom: protecting and providing the wellbeing of our children

out

having recently become a parent myself, as most of u know, these situations have taken a diferent toll in my thoughts lately.[/quote]

Is this a world wide recognized holiday? We recently had a children's festival in town and I wonder if there is a connection.

And to answer your question, no. As a society we are not doing everything we can to protect our youth. That said tackling the problem is a little more difficult than that. And certainly no community is exempt from this type of problem. Even in wealthy suburbs children can still be victims of violence, neglect, and abuse. What we can do though is try to keep our children safe and secure. This doesn't mean that we shelter them and make sure they don't watch the discovery channel past 10pm, but it means we spend quality time with our children so they develop a system of values, dignities, and respect. It really boils down to being a responsible parent. Most children who are in trouble have parents that themselves were in trouble (poor role models).

Gifts are great and might have a place somewhere, but the time quality time spent between a parent and their child is simply irreplaceable. It really doesn't matter what type of society we live in either: whether it be democratic rule, or a dictatorship. Parents is and always will be the single greatest factor in how a child turns out. Of course peer relationships matter and can be of influence, and can sometimes override our own -- but normally a well raised child will be headed in a positive direction.

I'm not even sure if my post was on topic and maybe i'm just heading in a random direction. I just typed and that's what came out.
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

wiki International Childrens day in case ur confused about the date and what it stands for.

My kid got no (ZERO) presents from me, then again he´s not even 2 and we still have Xmas presents 2 unwrap for him. Instead wifey and daddy took him 2 the beach this afternoon. Sand is still a substance which is percieved with the greatest of alarms for the 1st hour or so. After alot of phsycology mixed in with abundant mummy patience and a little of daddy´s persistance, Afonso decided that the "stuff" wasnt that hard 2 walk on and could, in fact, be fun :P

out
GeneralMichael
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: MDSamurai12

Post by GeneralMichael »

Man I've been missing out my elementary school never did anything for this, we didn't get off.

Though my dad thinks kids these days can't really have any fun. The pranks my dad did when he was a kid, and till when he was in his late 20s would end up in a law suit, or him getting fired. He has told me some of them, and they are not that bad. Like somebody's office would smell like somebody had really bad gas for a while, or somebody getting an unexpected spray in the face at work when they went to go get water, though if he did it now, he would get in big trouble