My First Near Death Experience

You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

My First Near Death Experience

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

Well not so much a near death experience as much of a "It coulda been a hell of a lot worse."

I came of my bike to day. Was trying to get on to the slip road on the notorious Coventry ring road when things got messy and I hit the curb. I was sent flying off my bike at about 45MPH and went sliding across two lanes of traffic with the bike following close behind. It was quite a surreal experience and although it only happened earlier today it feels like an age ago. I remember falling off but not hitting the ground and the sensation of sliding but I don't know if I had my eyes closed because I can't remember seeing anything. I slid for about 30 meters but don't remember going that far, though I do remember the bike hitting me at one point.

Let me tell you something it is not fun. I was so shaken up and aching so much I couldn't move for about 5 minutes. I was shaking for ages but eventually I struggled up and picked the bike up with some help. I somehow managed to hurt my ankle on the opposite side from where I landed and cut my knees a bit. I'm still discovering bruises and cuts all over the place and am bruised above my ribs which hurts at times. My leathers bore the brunt of the force so I am relatively ok. Nothing broken.

Once I realized I was ok my main concern was the bike which fired up straight away and I was able to ride it home. My fairing is not ok though. Smashed to bits on the right side along with the front fender and rear brake lever. Luckily I have an engine guard that took the force of the impact protecting the engine from impact but the force on it broke the gaurd off.

I'm absolutely gutted about my bike and still aching but it can all be mended quickly and for a lot less than I thought. When I think back about it now I realize I am quite lucky I didn't get hit by the many cars following behind as I slid right across their path.

Well anyhow writing down what happened and what I need to do to fix it is helping me sort it in my head. I'm gonna be house bound with this ankle and lack of rear brake lever for the weekend so at least I will have plenty of time for some clan games. So see you on ESO I hope!
Aravinthan
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: My First Near Death Experience

Post by Aravinthan »

Wow dude, that was close lucky that there wasn't a 2nd lane, or there might been a card that u might of hit.
Anyway get well!
A master Piece done by cleeduz
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

My goodness, Chris, I am so glad you are all right. That sounds like a terrible experience; thank God you made it through with just some bruises and cuts. Good thing you had some protective gear on, too. I'm not sure what the law is in England, but over here I see young guys riding bikes without helmets or even shirts sometimes. It makes me shudder to think what would happen if they took a spill like you did at high speed.

Get well soon. And take it easy for as long as you need to! I hope to see you on ESO this weekend if you are feeling up to it.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
GeneralMichael
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: MDSamurai12

Post by GeneralMichael »

I'm gonna guess that you were wearing a helmet which is a good thing. Gotta protect that brain otherwise it is good by aoe.
Though reading this made me think of my 11th grade english teacher. He was riding his bicycle getting ready for a triathalon when he was crossing a side road and was hit by a truck. His nose was smashed up and there is a bone in his leg still broken.

cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

So glad to hear that you are alright. It sounds like you got very lucky!

I'm also amazed that you were ok enough mentally to ride home. I "dropped" my bike once, not as major as yours, and tried to ride it home, but my hands were shaking to much to work the clutch!

Sincerely glad that you are not hurt. ride safe! 8)
"Nature doesn't like Agra forts." - Sporting Lisbon

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. - Ben Franklin
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

damn guys, be careful, I had my share of funerals lately

glad you got away safe!
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
emperoral
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by emperoral »

Well the main thing is that the curb is ok adder. Hope you have gone to the curb and said you was sorry to it poor little thing sitting there peacefully watching the world go by when some nutter whacks it OUCH poor poor thing.

OK well glad your ok pal must of been a real scare bet those seconds of you coming of to hitting the ground etc must of fealt like a life time. Glad other motorists did not get you either and I bet a few said F@:@ing hell did you see that but as said the main thing is your ok.

Shame about your bike but that can be fixed etc but you must smile a little bit that she still worked!

Oh and if I beat you this weekend etc dont use that as an excuse for your loss. mmmmm come to think of it that wont happen
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Stay safe, superman ^^
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

Thanks guys this means alot. Half my family ride and they have all drummed into me the importance of wearing protective gear and now I know the importance of it first hand. I was shaking for a while cleeduz but once I got back on my feet my main concern was my bike lol. I only lived five minutes away and just needed to get it home asap. I just took it real slow all the way home. She still works great all the damage is cosmetic but the engine is solid thank God.
Last edited by Blackadderthe4th on Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Highlander999
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Highlander999 »

I saw that happen once when I was driving. some guy totally lost it at about 55mph and just went sliding right out in front of 3 lanes of traffic. Literally if it had not been for ABS, I'm pretty sure myself and the car on the inside would have gone over him. He wasn't so lcuky though. He broke a leg and a few ribs.

Glad to hear your not too badly hurt though.
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

Yeah, what they said. Glad to hear you're OK.
TheRam
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by TheRam »

Awesome that you're fine now, and hey - maybe you can discover a passion for being a stunt-man as a result of this.
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

Wow, among the group of people that have been thrown from their bike, you are very lucky. Glad you're gonna be OK.
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

Wow that sux Chris. Thank goodness u had ur leathers. Ur skin will thank you u for that. Im also glad the bike is mechanically ok.

I thank God and my parents 4 neva having allowed me to get that much desired bike at 16. I wouldnt b here writing this if they did.
hope u recover ASAP, and most importantly I hope it doesnt affect ur gaming :P

out