You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

djdan
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: SpanktheMonkey

Re: 08-08-08 Olympic Games

Post by djdan »

Yeah I believe the UK doesn't believe about overall medals :-/ They like to focus on getting medals from sports we're good at, Swimming, Equestrian, Rowing, Badminton, I'm sure theres more but my minds gone blank.
But come 2012 I reckon we will be trying hard to get as many medals as possible in whatever event!

Did anyone see the tennis match of Murray against the guy from Chinese Taipei? Where he lost! lol, First round I believe? I bet he was devastated!!! lol, I really dont like him, not that hes scottish, but hes so far up his own arse its unbelievable!
From the OP maker of the OP Sigs, Cleeduz brings maybe some of his best work yet!
TheRam
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by TheRam »

[quote=""Soccerman771""]Ok, I have a question for you Non-U.S. living folks:

How many of your countries really "care" about the total medal count from the olympics? The impression I get from the media over here is that most countries only "care" about winning the gold in select events and that the overall medal count isn't nearly as important. So, I'm going to the source. What's the deal?[/quote]
When your country isn't incredibly populated it can be quite hard to expect to be hugely competetive in every sport.
This is why countries like the UK will find something they have an actual hope of winning, and publicise these quite highly, and to me medal count isn't really a big deal, would be unrealistic to expect to win so much with such a small population.
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

As a Canadian we are proud to win any medal... we usually get 5-10 in summer and as many as 20 in winter (in a good year anyway). Olympics aren't really a big deal here at all. It's what you watch on TV when you run out of options or talk about if the power goes out.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

We really care for medals here. Less than football but it still matters a lot. No matter what sport it is, what event, all medals are welcome. You gotta value what you got, since there haven't been many medals and those that achieve gold or get some medals became famous in the country.
GeneralMichael
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: MDSamurai12

Post by GeneralMichael »

I was just watching the olympics and when they were switching from a race that Michael Phelps just won to gymnastics the news caster said that there was a huge competition between China and America in swimming and gymnastics. Now I'm not sure about gymnastics but in swimming i think china is sunk well atleast the chinses guys. How can anybody expect to beat Michael Phelps? He is not human in my opinion, I think he may be part fish.

DA_of_Canada
Conscript
Conscript

Post by DA_of_Canada »

America i think will get most medals because phelps is suppose to get 8 gold in swimming. Canada sucks in summer............... CHina i thinkign will get second most medals.
Image Image
Crazy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Crazy »

[quote=""36drew""]Olympics aren't really a big deal here at all. It's what you watch on TV when you run out of options or talk about if the power goes out.[/quote]
So True :-P