England v South africa

You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

luukje
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: England v South africa

Post by luukje »

That's were south africa benefitted from the exetended evening session, just like England did the day before. If it were close of play at 93/4, flintoff would have steamrollered SA the next day.

Sidebottom has been the best bowler for England for over a year. He's a good quality swing bowler, but with the demise of Harmison, Hoggard and inconsistency of Anderson, he just has to be everything: strike bowler, containing bowler, and he's been bowling on the trot for over 1.5 year.
Every player needs to sit don once in a while and rediscover his form. Go back to basic training. He's injured and mentally spent sidebottom.

There's not a lot to choose from for england? They have dumped Hoggard, the most experienced bowler. Flintoff has been back for just 2 tests, has been captain before and lost 5-0 to the aussies, he's injury prone, and not exactly a great leader (fredalo!). Strauss has beent in any kind of form for more than a year. Bell is talented but has no leadership aura whatsoever. (I think he would have trouble leading a kindergarten class). Cook is only 23 and still learning his game. Collingwood was dead before his last innings. And bringing in an outsider like Key? No way.

So that leaves...Pietersen...wich I think will be turn out to be a disaster in the end. Maybe for 20/20 or ODI. But not for tests. Test are all about discipline, stamina, strength of caracter. About 4 west indian fast bowlers doing a sustained attack. About glen Mcgrath shutting of 1 end, and having warne bowl at the other end.
I dont see Pietersen as the kind of guy that can glue a team together to create that kind of pressure in the field or not to collapse when batting. It's not about winning 1 session, it's about winning a test match.
But the people in the selection will know the real Pietersen I presume?
Heyco
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Heyco »

RSA!!! :)
Highlander999
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Highlander999 »

ODI series is in the bag for us. Might go and watch Eng v SA at Chester-le-Street